two six volt batteries hookup question

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by scootit, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Jughed

Jughed Member

It sounds like a negative/ground problem for the jack.

Check all possible (-) connections & cable for any signs of corrosion, loose connections.

You are getting power to the unit - a quick shut down like you indicated is a typical symptom of a bad or no ground.

2. scootit

scootit Member

Thanks everyone. I had to connect the power jack positive wire to the positive on the battery on the right side. That battery had the positive that connected to the trailer. Next is to connect solar panels.

3. wecamp

wecamp Member

Glad you got it working. I am jealous that you are camping this weekend. Our camper has been winterized for a month. Make sure you use a charge controller with your solar panels.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Charge and load connect to same spot so the wires from the solar controller go to the same spots as the trailer!

5. scootit

scootit Member

Everything is going great with the new 6 volt batteries. Having two of them gives us the power we need. Now I need to keep them charged. Do I buy a 3 stage charger to use on the 6 volts? I can charge by plugging into my house but will it give me a full charge and not over charge it? If I understand it correctly...a 3 stage can stay on my batteries and I don't have to worry. Any one out there use 6 volt batteries and can help me with this?
    Thanks

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Please forgive me but I think yo need to adjust your thinking.
    You do not have two batteries, electrically you have a 12 volt battery. The cells that make up the 6 volt batteries are combined to make one battery of cells. Charge them as a 12 volt battery.

Maycat likes this.
  7. R00

R00 Active Member

"Battery"

noun, plural batteries.

Electricity.Also called galvanic battery, voltaic battery. a combination of two or morecell electrically connected to worktogether to produce electric energy.cell1(def 7a).

any large group or series of related things:

a battery of questions.

8. R00

R00 Active Member

Boo to copy/paste

9. R00

R00 Active Member

You have two cases with 6 cells each. All twelve cells in series is what is known as a "battery"

More importantly, the way you describe your troubleshooting methods scares the bejesus out of me. Please invest in an electrical meter and a couple of YouTube series on low voltage electrical theory

Campers (most *especially* popups) burn fast. Real fast. So fast you won't know what happened. Respect the electricity.

10. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

It depends, what is the brand and model of your converter?