Two week trip in bear country

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Mtlangst, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

we are going for two weeks in yellowstone/teton/ glacier np areas. What are the best ways to handle food storage? Family of seven. We are thinking of doing the two coolers. One for frozen meat and the other for other items and keeping in TV all the time. What has worked best for you? Just frequent grocery stores more often?

2. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

They usually have a list of rules.
    Usually food needs to be kept in something hard sided (car, hard side RV).
    Should be on the website you are camping with or you could call them.

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Coolers in the TV. Been camping in that area for 25 years. Never had an issue. Clean camp and common sense

PopUpSteve likes this.
  4. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

I was thinking more along the logistic line not safety. How to best pack for meals etc... we will keep everything in out van. Just trying to figure out how to keep food etc the best way

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Just got back from Yellowstone. We bought an Ozark Trail Yeti knockoff for most of our food. We used the pup fridge for canned beverages (pop) and a limited amount of non-smelly food like eggs. We also had a 5 gallon water cooler full of ice water that we kept with us as we drove around the park and filled water bottles frequently with it (high altitudes and afternoon temps make you thirsty quickly).

My wife was concerned originally about the length of stay, and the fact we normally keep all of our food in the pup fridge, but we had no issues at all.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Ah. You won’t be close to a grocery once your in the park. Seven is a big group. Three coolers ? River runners are the experts when it comes to group food packing. I’d research online how they pack for long floats like the Grand Canyon

7. tfischer

We only had 4, but if you need to make a grocery run, they have stores outside most of the entrances, plus all the developed areas in the park have some limited groceries although they are expensive. I would think 2 coolers would be more than plenty for 7 though, since we only had one for 4.

8. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

I always try to dehydrate my kids in the car, otherwise it is potty breaks all day long. I could through in the porta potty in the back though.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. tfischer

Plenty of bathrooms (mostly vault) all through Yellowstone, so not really an issue. It's really easy to become (seriously) dehydrated at higher elevations than you're used to.

10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Did the similar trip a few years ago with nine (I have seven kids). I would recommend that you have a single cooler with all of your basic meats and meals prepacked and frozen - ideally with dry ice if you have access to it. Just use the pup fridge for fridge items, eggs, veggies... We were able to go about 10 days like this before we exhausted all of the meals in the cooler. There is essentially nowhere in YS or Tetons to buy food assuming that you are staying in the park (and I highly recommend that). Transporting up to glacier you will have plenty of opportunities to stock back up if you want and glacier is not such a bear issue. We kept our cooler in our sprinter van, no issues. Dry food was packed in the camper. You have to keep a very clean camp in YS. We were actually written up for leaving out a container of dish soap (orange color) which they called drink mix. It was the only thing out in our whole site. I'm thinking that bear might have been forever cured of human contact if they had gotten into that and tried to eat it.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I somehow had a picture of a bear soaping up in the outside shower.

12. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

It cured me of cussin for at least alil while when i was younger. Don't know about bears.

13. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Keeping a clean camp will be the challenge. Crumbs all over etc... we are taking a 5 day practice trip to the U.P. where for most of the trip they will need to practice being bear aware.

14. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

What size cooler did you use for the freezer? Was thinking about getting the Ozark trail 26ct cooler but didn’t know if that would be too small of a capacity.

15. tfischer

We just picked up the 52 quart one right before our Yellowstone trip. It did a great job at keeping ice in a solid state.

16. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

One of my favorite memories as a kid. 7 day float trip down the Grand Canyon with River Runners. (And they are great cooks too)

17. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

26 Qt for 7 people over 14 days is too small IMO

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Agree, keep the coolers and smellables in the TV. Having the coolers with you while driving around during the day has it's benefits. A NP ranger once told us to keep the coolers covered with a dark blanket or coat when your not using them. The bears know what coolers are!!!! And don't forget to close the windows in the TV at night!

19. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

When we did our BC west coast trip last year (2 adults, 3 teens) we did a 2 cooler system with a 5 gallon water jug and insulated waterbottles for everyone. We'd float Dad's beer bottles in the water cooler in the morning and it would be nice and cold for dinner. We replenished the ice in the non-frozen cooler, water jug and waterbottles daily.
    We also had a cooler bag for bread products and fruit that didn't HAVE to be refrigerated (ie apples, oranges, grapes etc) and the alcohol. We'd just fill a long low plastic container with ice each day and put it at the bottom of the cooler bag to keep things at a moderate temperature, especially if the van was going to be parked in the sun on a day trip.

Things we found helpful on the trip included
    shelf stable milk and juice so they didn't have to be in the cooler - they were in small enough containers that we'd finish one at a meal.
    a variety of canned fruits and a couple of small containers of frozen fruits for something "fresh" for breakfasts at the end of the trip,
    powdered ice tea and lemonade drinks so they could be made by the glass and not require space in the cooler, keeping shredded cheese in the frozen cooler in small packages so they could be moved over to the other cooler as needed
    freezing eggs in mason jars and keeping them in the frozen cooler
    keeping lunch fixings (condiments, cheese, lunch meats etc) in a tinfoil pan at the top of the cooler to make it easy to grab all at once.

have a great trip.

20. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Thanks for the info.
    I think we are going to get a small ice maker which we can run in our van or at campsite to keep iced up.