TX - Anyone know much about Eisenhower State Park in Texas?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by wardog, Jul 18, 2009.

1. wardog

wardog Member

We are looking for a new place to go for Labor day. There are openings at Eisenhower SP in Texas but we have never been there so wanted to get some input. We live in the Fort Worth area and I don't want to travel more than a couple of hours for the weekend.

Thanks for any information you have.

2. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

We have been to Eisenhower SP several times. This was all before we got the pup and just slept in tents so I don't know how it is for campers. The park is very nice with good fishing, hiking/biking trails. If you go during the right time of year you get caterpillars of all different colors falling from the trees. They are pretty neat and make good fish bait. I don't remeber mosquitos being a bit problem but do remember coming home with lots of chigger bits. Always had lots of fun there.

3. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I have camped there and it is a park I would camp in again. If you like a nice lake, you have one of the nicest around. It is close to a nice size city with all the services you need and it is easy to get to. Put this state park on your list to give a try.

4. wardog

wardog Member

Thanks for the replies. I will let DH know.

5. agranger

agranger New Member

I'm resurrecting an older thread... Eisenhower is one of my parent's favorite spots (in their 30-some foot Class C motorhome). I'm headed up there soon to the Armadillo Hill section of the park (water/electric - no sewer). They love just hanging out and watching for deer, rabbits, eagles and roadrunners.

It's going to be my wife's first weekend out with the popup... her only other camping experience was over 15 years ago when we were dating... I talked her into a tenting weekend. [:D] We will see how she takes it.

I'll take some pics for the use of future campters.

6. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

We have camped there numerous times and have always had a good time. Its a big park right on Lake Texoma, be sure to check out all of the stuff inside the rangers station. They have some pretty neat stuff. I believe we stayed in site 27 which in our opinion is the best site in the park.