TX - Cooper Lake State Park

Discussion in 'Texas' started by dlburkett76, Apr 21, 2011.

1. dlburkett76

dlburkett76 New Member

We're looking to stay at the South Sulphur Unit at Cooper Lake SP. Has anyone visited this SP? This will be our first trip and not to mention it will be our 1st outing in our NTU Coleman PUP.

2. stu

stu New Member

We stayed there last fall and really enjoyed our site We took our kayaks and paddled around the shore line. We say deer at the water edge and more ducks flying over than we had ever seen. We were in site 12 and had a great water view in the trees bathrooms were a wok to but clean. You will enjoy the area and have fun with the pup :)

3. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

Haven't camped there but did take a look at it a few years ago. Very nice park with good facilities. We were there in April and the wildflowers were abundant. Rains haven't been good this year so I wouldn't expect as much. Overall, the park reminds me a great deal of the Isle du Bois Unit on Ray Roberts Lake (if that is any help). I would expect you'll have a great time. Let us know on your return.

Happy Camping!

4. dlburkett76

dlburkett76 New Member

Thanks for the response. Ray Roberts is one of my favorite campsites so that definitely helps.

5. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Cooper is a good park to camp in, and I think site 12 is about the best one in the park. It is private and backs right up to the lake. There is a state wild life management area on both sides of the park. The park has a pretty nice hiking trail. It is not has wooded at those parks a little more east and a little more south. Most of the trees are hard woods, mainly post oaks. There are two camping loops that can be used for popups. There is also a walk in camp area. There is a park on both the north side of the lake and the south side. All of the above information is related to the south side. The north side is much smaller, only about 35 campsites, but it is still very nice.

6. dlburkett76

dlburkett76 New Member

Well this weekend was our first weekend outing in our camper and Cooper was booked so we ended up staying at Bob Sandlin SP. We checked in Friday evening and was forced into a rush pack-up and leave number after we heard tht a Tornado warning was in effect near Cooper Lake and headed in our direction right around dusk. So we had a crash course in a number of things this weekend but all in all it was enjoyable and disaster free. Looking forward to our next outing ASAP!

7. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned. We've all been there and that's camping, just NOT at its best. Oooh, some stories I and others could tell [LOL]!!!

Storms were pretty rough in our area last night. DD and her hubby live near us and suffered some pretty heavy hail damage. Roof will need replacement and hubby's SUV got dinged up pretty good. Neighbor's "day old" new car got it real good, as well. All the trees in the neighborhood got stripped pretty good. No one hurt and no huge damage so all is well. We got a good bit of rain but it looks like the hail missed us.

Wishing you better luck on your next trip and as always,

Happy Camping!