TX - Davis Mountains SP (Ft Davis)

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Oldtimer69, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Oldtimer69

Oldtimer69 New Member

This park is off the beaten track some. You have to want to come here. But worth the extra drive. Location is in West Texas, maybe 50 miles south of Pecos Texas. Park is clean, well maintained, has a lot of campsites, many with electricity and water (Tent sites only, maybe not). Park also has a nice Lodge and a restaurant (I think). Campground is located in a little valley between ridges at altitude of 5000 feet more or less. Park just a few miles from Historic old Ft. Davis, an old West cavalry post. Worth a definite look-see. Only a couple gas pumps in town it seems, so watch your gauges. During week, lots of room, Fri and Sat, I'd call first. Daytime temp was 85 to 95 but park high enough for shade to be OK, some nites were cool. Campground has enough small trees (scrubby Oak and Juniper maybe) that most sites have some shade at least part of day. Tent sites are along the (dry) stream bank with lots of those scrubby trees - plenty shady.

Tony
    99 Dodge Ram
    2000 Coleman Seapine

Edited by - Oldtimer69 on September 12 2007 11:22:56

2. Pecos_Drifter

Pecos_Drifter New Member

One of my favorite parks in the system, just got back from 7 days of camping last month!!

Robert
    2001 Ford Ranger
    2004 Fleetwood Pecos
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Pecos_Drifter
    2007 Nights So Far (19)

3. Calman

Calman Member

I've seen the signs many times coming through TX but the only place I stayed was at Balmoral SP. Didn't particularly like having to pay an entrance fee on top of the camping fee but the natural spring fed lake was worth the extra $$$.

Cal - "On the Road Again"
    00 - Chevy Tracker
    07 - Aspen Sentry
    26 - Days on the road in 07

4. Oldtimer69

Oldtimer69 New Member

Cal .............. oldtimer here.

Yes, I've griped about Texas parks charging entrance fee on top of camping fee ever since I moved to Texas 40 years ago. They still do it.

Tony
    99 Dodge Ram
    2000 Coleman Seapine

5. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

Yes, I think the entrance fee is to make sure no one gets to use the park for free, not even for the day. I always get the annual Texas SP Pass. It doesn't take long to pay for itself.

Happy Camping!

'05 Silverado TV
    '03 Skamper PU
    Grand Prairie, TX

6. srds

srds Freeport,Texas

One of my favorite fall camping getaways

me-48
    dw 43
    dd 13
    ds 4
    28 days camped-07