TX - Davis Mountains State Park

Discussion in 'Texas' started by speedbumptx, Feb 11, 2010.

1. speedbumptx

speedbumptx New Member

Anyone been there during Spring Break week?

Favorite sites? Any other comments?

2. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

I haven't stayed here, but my parents have. It's a nice park. The went later in the year and drove over to Balmorhea SP for the day and took the kids swimming. I know the rangers do warn people to be aware of the mountain lions. One ranger told my parents to keep an eye on the kids and not to let them go off on their own. That was a little unsettling. During their stay they saw one, but it didn't give them any trouble. Hope you have a great time. Let us know your experience.

3. speedbumptx

speedbumptx New Member

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to wonder if this post was invisible. [;)]

We've tent camped there, it is a great park. Lots of RV campers there, but it is built at the bottom of a mountain so I'm thinking some of the pads may not be very level. We've always gone in warmer weather so I'm not sure if I want to travel 300 miles at mid-March timeframe.

I got the PUP registered today! Next up, hitch receiver installation. Dang, if I didn't have to work Saturday, this would be a great weekend for the first trip.

4. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

My parents never complained about the sites not being level. They've gone there twice. I've found that most state parks have fairly level pads. I don't think you'll have to worry too much. Bring some boards, a BAL Leveler, or some Lynk and you should be fine if you need to level up a bit. We camped at Tyler SP last weekend in the snow (see the thread under 2010 Rallies/Texas Season Opener for pics--it was awesome) and we only had to lower the front with the hitch to get to level. March sounds like a great time to go. Maybe you'll start seeing some wildflowers popping out by then!

5. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

Camped there once during a spring break motorcycle trip on the way back from Big Bend. We camped out in tents and woke in the morning with snow on the tents and on the ground.

6. Indy

Indy Member

Bumping this old post to say that we went in July, and Davis Mts is a beautiful park! We were there for the Fourth of July, and many many people drove up Skyline Rd to the top of the mts to watch the fireworks over Fort Davis. We drove up there late and it was too crowded, so we didn't stay. It's a lovely park and the scenic road around the park is very nice with lots of stops where you could picnic with a nice mountain view. Also, as previously mentioned, Balmorhea is a wonderful spring-fed pool (cool, but not TOO cool) and a wonderfully refreshing place nearby to take a dip.

We did not have any problems with mountain lions, but we did talk to several other campers who had lots of javelina in their sites in the morning. We were there 4 days and didn't see javelina either. That said, it was July and it was warm - we did not hike.

Be sure to stop at the McDonald Observatory nearby. We made a day trip to Carlsbad Caverns while we were here, also.

We had a pull-through that was level, but most of the pop-ups were in another section and didn't seem to have any problems. There were quite a few PUPs here, actually. I don't prefer a pull-through, but coming in from Houston we arrived quite late so we didn't get much of a choice.

7. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

bumping again, though I see this board is fairly inactive. Just fyi that Davis Mt. SP is closed for major renovations through next year. We were going to go in Oct. and I found out when I called :(

8. Indy

Indy Member

I'm sorry to hear it is closed for renovations. I'm glad we got to visit before the closure - I loved it there. I hope it will return bigger and better than ever, and we can make another trek out West by that time.

9. WendyLouWho

From the sounds of it they are adding more trails, sites and redoing the existing ones. I do think it will be better than ever. There is always Indian Lodge, not quite like camping though ;)

I wanted my children to visit McDonald Observatory where their uncle did a apprenticeship several summers when I was a teen. We spent a lot of time camping at Davis and staying at Indian Lodge to visit him. Wonderful memories.

10. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

I didn't realize they were closing the park for renovations either. I'll have to watch the TPWD website to see when it reopens. Someday I hope to visit this park.

11. WendyLouWho

It's one of my favorites out west. Beautiful!

12. Jiffypop

Jiffypop New Member

We were here in October 2010 and really loved the look of the area....so picturesque! Click the little camera link under my screen name to see some of the photos I took. The town of Fort Davis is walkable with shops and eateries. We made a daytrip to Balmorhea State Park to swim in the spring-fed pool...though in October it was a tad on the chilly side.

13. Indy

Indy Member

The park is reopening! Open House this weekend with free admission. Wish it wasn't so far from me...