TX- guadalupe river state park

Discussion in 'Texas' started by westguy76, Jul 14, 2011.

1. westguy76

westguy76 New Member

I know the river is low now for a lack of water, going in a couple weeks up there. I have never camped at this particular park though. Anyone have any insight, or thoughts about the park, thanks.

2. atolman

atolman Member

It's a really fun park especially when the river is flowing good. I bet it's REALLY low right now. I've tent camped there a couple times (haven't taken the pup yet) and stayed in the water/electric sites. Nice, clean park with plenty to do. The river is beatiful.

I'm headed to Blanco State Park just down the road from there this weekend. I'm thinking the river will be really low there as well but we'll make the best of it.

3. westguy76

westguy76 New Member

You are in luck. I stayed at Blanco two weekends ago when I picked up my new to me pup. They river is fine there because of the dams and spillovers there there is plenty of water for fishing or swimming right there at the park.

4. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I have to agree with atolman, Guadalupe River SP is pretty nice. Your best bet is to call the park office to find out the water levels if you dont get any replies here from somebody who has gone recently.

We are leaving in the morning for South Llano River SP and the water levels are good there now, so looks like we will be tubing in the river all weekend. [8D]

5. huizarr

huizarr Member

This was the first park we went to in our tent and in our first tent camper. It is a nice park. We enjoy going there. Looking it at the USGS the river is flowing slowly in that area. I looked at the gauge near Spring Branch. As I recall there are some decent watering holes where you may be able to still swim. There is a sister park called Honey Creek SNA that is only open on Saturday morning for guided hiking tours. I believe it is like $5 per family. We have not gone on those hikes yet. But supposedly they are are very nice.

There are some cliffs near the water only area that overlook the river. They offer a nice view IMO. There are a lot of trees. You really don't see your neighbors. Enjoy your stay.

6. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

7. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

I took my camper there three weeks ago. Great park. River was low, but there were tubers and my boys swam in it for hours.

8. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We made Reservations there for September 16, 17, 18 [8D]

Hopefully there will still be enough water in the river for some swiming.

9. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

All it takes is one good rain.

10. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

True.......hoping that TS Don can help out with that, but looks like it might be moving to far south for any inland rain bands to come in that far.

11. jjjandrbaker

jjjandrbaker New Member

Unfortunately, it was more like Tropival Storm Dud! Just enough rainto make it humid.

12. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We stayed in this park in June 2007. The area was in a drought then too and the river was very low. But if you go just a little farther up river in the day use area you'll find a little deeper area and some rope swings in the trees. When were were there, the adults sat on the rocks in the middle of the river and watched the kids swing on the ropes. We really liked camping here and plan to go back one day.

13. westguy76

westguy76 New Member

I hope to go try this park but alas we shifted our reservations to lake sumerville and camped there this past weekend. Lake was i heard 7- foot low but we waded it out and kept as cool as we could. No issues with the new to us and our first camper. Need to order some gizmos though

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We're going to Lake Somerville (Birch Creek Unit) for Labor Day. Glad to hear there's still some water. With the heat and drought this year, just about every lake is down about 10 feet or more.