TX - Huntsville SP

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Lori3778, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We camped at Hunstville SP over the Memorial Day weekend. It has a very quiet lake. Boats have to use idle speed. Fishing is pretty good. Most of the campsites are small. I felt like most of them are for tent camping. There were mostly tents and PUP's there this weekend. No big rigs. There are lots of hills and so sites are not very level in the Prairie Branch area where we camped. My parents were in their TT and had a site that was on an incline. Our site was one of the few longer ones and was on a downward slope. Definitely bring a level and wheel chocks. Prairie Branch camping area has a fishing pier, boat launch and a sandy swimming beach in a very large day use area. Watch for alligators. All sites were water and electric. Raven Hill camping area had only water sites for the most part. And only the cramped area for the pull-throughs seemed to have water and electric. There was a fishing pier and boat launch as well. The park service has tried to level these campsites and TxDOT has paved them with new asphalt. There are tons of well marked bike and hiking trails throughout the park itself. The park is adjacent to the Sam Houston National Forest and it heavily wooded. There are brand new sidewalks and nice concrete steps down to the piers in both camping areas. And, the park service has even built new boardwalks on some of the trails as recently as this past spring. There's just too much to mention here about this state park. Overall we thought that it was a pretty nice place. I just wish they'd let us reserve a specific site since so many are small and you can't park off the pavement. We'd camp here again.

Steve & Lori
    son, Trent 9
    '07 Jayco 12HW
    '01 Dodge Ram 1500

2. Bobbie Scott

Bobbie Scott New Member

WE love Huntsville SP. Haven't been there in ahile but, you are right, we would definitely go again.

DW Bobbie
    DH Sonny
    1993 Coleman Destiny Royale
    2000 GMC Jimmy

3. txpopupmomma

txpopupmomma New Member

It will be on my list of places to go. Thanks for the information.