TX Lake Tawakoni State Park, Questions.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Turn Key, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

Well, after doing some research, we have decided not to go to Cedar Hill in fall. Can't say it bothers me much as I wasn't real thrilled with the idea to begin with. We're now looking at Lake Tawakoni State Park and have many of the same questions.

1) Best site(s) for our "5th", close to water for the 'yaks?
    2) Have read that sites are a bit close but how is "shade"? Usually don't care for a lot of direct sun, even in fall.
    3) Have also heard that fishing can be exceptional. True or false?
    4) Where exactly is the "Spider Tree" in relation to the camping areas and is this an issue?
    5) Seem to recall a lot of antique/junk shops out along Hwy 80. Is that correct and what else is there to do in the area? I know about the Edgewood Heritage Festival but we'll miss that one by a bit. Anything else?

This and anything else you can think of would be a help. Thanks and,

Happy Camping!

2. LauraLieTx

LauraLieTx Member

Sorry have never camped there but a friend said it was nice!! Garner and Inks State Parks are my two favorites in Texas, Happy Camping!! [CP]

3. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

We've camped at Lake Tawakoni, but on Thousand Trails not the State Park. I did an Eagle count on the lake one year and have visited the park on several occassions. As far as camping, at the times we visited they had most of the campgrounds closed (winter season), but the part they did have open was not bad, lots of trees with shade. There is a fire ban going on as you should know being a fellow Texan. Fishing is great near the dam early in the morning and just before sun down. Top water action in the coves early and buzz bait in the evening, along with cut shad for cats in the evening.

The park itself is very nice, the people there are nice also. The "spider" trees as they are called probably won't have much as far as spiders this year due to drought conditions. Not much of bugs in any way actually. You may want to call the park and ask about current drought conditions and bugs. The spider trees are on the main hiking trail so you won't have to worry about them in the campground area, but that does not mean they might not move to a different area...call them.

You may also want to check out Lake Texoma State park also.

Happy camping!

JJ

4. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

To me the sites are very small and close together. It is a very new state park, so everything is very nice and well kept. They have a very nice trail system. As far are sites close to the water, you can see on the park map the ones that fit that need. There are some on the water that are made for two groups to camp together, meaning the pads are literally touching like a parking lot. If you are by yourself, you may want to avoid those unless you want to get to know your neighbor very well. I have never camped on any of the spots close to the water. I have camped in # 3, 4 and 5 and those are okay.

There are two loops of sites. Each as spots close to the water and each as a "sub" loop off the main loop. If you don't have to be close to the water, you want to look at the loop that is the far north loop, and look at the sites in the sub loop. Some are more open with limited shade and some have a little shade.

5. dlburkett76

dlburkett76 New Member

Tawakoni SP is OK, we used to camp at Wind Point Park on Lake Tawakoni just off of Hwy 276 but it isn't as nice as it was a few years ago. Tawakoni SP seemed quite small and reminded me alot of Cedar Hill SP. Honestly I would recommend Bob Sandlin SP if you want something east of Dallas.

6. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

Inks gets my vote. Even though many do, I don't care for Garner enough to drive the distance.

Keep it all coming guys and,

Happy Camping!

7. katheria

katheria New Member

Wind Point Park on Lake Tawakoni is probably the best place to camp on that lake

we live less than 45 mins from the lake and have camped at every single place on the lake
    there are not many places that for sure as 80% of the land around the lake is privately owned

Wind Point this fall just totally redid the bathrooms meeting hall ect
    it maybe a older park but i place i at 7-8 stars.

if you like to fish its a great place with a 82# blue cat new lake records just caught a few days ago on the bank at the point on a fishing pole LOL

the state park, its probably one of the worse state parks in texas i have been to
    whoever designed the park and camping spaces must have been drinking or something
    we lost a tent there because the fire rings are less than 20ft from the next campsite

another lake to look at is Lake Cooper State Park
    very very nice state park