TX Possum Kingdom State Park, CLOSED!!!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Turn Key, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

PK is closed at this time due to fire damage. Situation to be re-evaluated on 4/25. We'll have to see what happens.

For further info:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/possum_kingdom/

Happy Camping (else where [:(])!

2. br9

br9 Member

I think Mineral Wells state park is nicer. I hope the fires stay away from there. We checked out P.K. state park a while back and really didn't care for it.

3. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

Agreed but still, it is one of our parks and it does have some good points.

Happy Camping!

4. wardog

wardog Member

The fires are terrible right now and my heart goes out to all of those that live in that area. I too have been to PK to camp and am saddened to hear of it's damage. I heard on the news that 90% of the park had been burned. Hopefully they will get it under control soon.

5. Turn Key

Turn Key New Member

One nice (?) thing is that Texas flora and fauna is well accustomed to and adapted to high heat and wildfires. Also, our park system, like others, tends to discourage changes in the local environment that would inhibit natural recovery after such an event. Thus, after the replacement or repair of any man-made structure and systems, the park should recover rather quickly. This sort of event also tends to give the park system an opportunity to do improvements that may not have been allowed otherwise due to budgetary restraints. We can only hope.

Happy Camping!