TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by luv2camp0314, Mar 25, 2012.

1. luv2camp0314

luv2camp0314 New Member

Has any one been to Sandy Creek or Magnolia Ridge Parks it looks like they are very close to eachother and are maintained by the federal parks? We usually do the state parke but looking for somewhere new.

2. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I have never been to either, but could you tell me what part of the state these are in?

3. luv2camp0314

luv2camp0314 New Member

They are around the Jasper area, They are supposely on the same lake as Martin Dies Jr. State Park.

4. luv2camp0314

luv2camp0314 New Member

We finally took a road trip to the parks today,Our findings are Sandy Creek appears to be a really nice park there are alot of shaded campsites and lots of trails and fishing. MagnoliaRidge is also ok most of there sites are in the sun and there is not much there as for as activites more of just a quite getaway.I would recommend Sandy Creek and Martin Dies jr. state park they are really close to eachother and would pass on magnolia ridge.

5. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Thank you for the update. I will file this information away for the next time I head out that way.

6. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We've camped at Sandy Creek however while it's a nice park, we prefer to camp at Martin Dies Jr. State Park. Sandy Creek is a quiet park with very little to do. It's kinda off the beaten path a bit. There are no hiking or biking trails and there is a very small playground way in the back of the campground with most of the campsites clustered together. Unless you bring a canoe, there is little water recreation. The lake is home to numerous alligators. It's a shallow lake and we've found the fishing to be hit or miss. We like Martin Dies Jr. State Park better because Hen House Ridge has a designated swimming area, hiking trails, and a nature center in the Walnut Ridge Unit has regular Saturday programs and weekly snake feeding on Sundays. Not that you couldn't make a 15 minute drive from Sandy Creek to do these activities if you wanted too.