U-shaped dinnette in the way??

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by MotherRunner, May 18, 2019.

1. MotherRunner

MotherRunner New Member

I looked at a PUP today with a u-shaped dinnette in front of the master bed. Does it get in the way?? I can see the storage space underneath being useful, but to me I would think having a potty on one side and maybe just a bench on the other better...

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The DW and I sleep in the back bunk and the table is usually lowered to a bed for the DQT and the boys get the front bunk. Yes, it can get in the way, but we prefer it to having the dinette on the side. I've looked at a lot of PUPs and the dinette always gets in the way of something unless it slides out the side. The only time our table gets raised is during really bad weather or if it's extremely hot. Those times it gets used to play games or put a puzzle together.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I personally don't like a dinnette table in front on a bunk. I would hate to climb over it or worse the cushions looking worn with feet constantly on them which would no doubt look like that if my dogs and side kick had their way. Then again if you need the extra bed and you have a bigger family and need a larger place to sit, I can see it's usefullness. To each their own. I can see it more as a lounger myself. Don't like my couch because it forces me to sit up straight. I love to lounge and be comfortable.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My wife hated crawling around the table to get into the bed in our Coleman Columbia. That’s everything since has had booth seating for the table

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, i always thought the opposite, that i wanted one infront of the bunk to free up some space in the pop up. And to give me more room to sit. The grass is always greener on the other side!

HappyTraveler and BillyMc like this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

This is why I say the best floor plan is the one that works for your family. If mama ain’t happy....

Everything since has had a goucho couch though...

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

I hated having the dinette in front of the bed in our old pup. We’d have one kid sleeping on the bed and one on the dinette and the dinette bed would always get so filthy from being climbed over.
    Looking for our new pup and that was the first thing on our list to rule out. We ended up with a slide out dinette and a goucho couch and it’s perfect for us.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    HappyTraveler and jmkay1 like this.
  8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have a U couch (but no table) in front of my bunk and it's great. I have a highwall and I'd kill myself trying to get out of bed in the middle of the night without that giant cushy step there!

I do cover it with beach towels so it doesn't get grody. It would. Love how the new popups have vinyl seats.

HappyTraveler and BillyMc like this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

One of our past pups had that. I didn't care for the layout. We looked for a pup with open access to both bunks in our current pup. We did have to sacrifice seating by getting that, but hasn't been a problem. I just didn't want to have to climb over anything, or anyone, to get to the bathroom at night.

10. erich82

erich82 Active Member

We got one with a U-dinette because we're a family of 6, and I couldn't see everyone sitting at the small table lol.
    Great thing about the U-dinette, is that you can just remove the table, and use it as a U-seating if you don't need the table. I can also fit 6 camping chairs, a privacy tent, my outdoor carpet, and plenty of 1lb propane bottles just under those benches, so plenty of storage.