ugh, I thought having a PU was going to be fun....

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by backyarddad, Apr 2, 2013.

1. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Okay, I thought having a PU was going to be fun, and I am sure it's going to be but I keep reading the post on the forum, and think, "Man, there so much to know!" so here's my question, isse, concern...

Leveling...front and back and side to side...what is most important? I setup in the yard, was level front to back, but didn't really pay attention to the left right level (mainly because I forgot it was there!) but noticed that the ball is not centered, but off to the left of center..

My camper ('07 Rockwood Freedom) has 2 factory installed levels, front annd back, side to side...question is:

1. Did I ruin the frame by forgetting about the left /right level and raising the roof?

2. Are the factory levels "good" enough or do I need to add or use more?

3. What else am I forgetting?? I want it to be fun, not fustrating!

Thanks All!

2. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

"1. Did I ruin the frame by forgetting about the left /right level and raising the roof?"

No

"2. Are the factory levels "good" enough or do I need to add or use more?"

When you say "levels" are you referring to bubble levels or the leveling jacks?

"3. What else am I forgetting?? I want it to be fun, not fustrating!"

Don't worry about it. I don't always level my trailer in the driveway when Im working on it. You won't hurt anything.

The only thing to consider would be if you try to run the frig when the trailer is not completely level. It may not work to its full capability.

3. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

The fridge is the only item that needs to be level to work. The blood in your head of feet will return to normal once you are upright. [:D] . Keep setting it up in your yard/driveway until you get comfortable with it. RELAX it will be fun...

4. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Thanks! I feel better, I mean the bubble levels.

5. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Thanks, I hope I keep the blood flowing! ;)

6. gec66

gec66 Active Member

The chances that those are factory levels are not that great. More likely that someone else added them later. When I got my 2004 Bayside in 2010 there weren't any on it, so I set it up leveled out and added them myself. If the person that put them on, even if they were "factory" installed, didn't have the unit level when they stuck them on then they can misleading.

BTW, if you have a roof a/c, you generally want one corner slightly low for drainage. I personally recommend that be one of the corners opposite the door side of the pup.

In the end this is just one of those things that incurs a learning curve. The first few times setup and tear down will take significantly longer than once you get in the groove. I don't use any fancy leveling tools like a BAL leveler or Lynx levelers, just simple 2x4's and once I have the pup setting where I want to end up on the pad I look at the levels and know pretty much how many wood blocks I will need to level one side or the other. I pull forward a foot or two, place the 2x4's, and back onto them. 9 x out of 10 I am close enough to be done on the first try. You will get there too. Good luck!

7. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

You'll have this down to a science in no time! Relax :)

8. bropaul

bropaul New Member

S-L-O-W D-O-W-N!!! Rome wasn't build in a day.. and neither is learning everything about your pup! It just takes a little patience and experience and you will be camping pros! [;)] Read everything you can here on the Portal and ask as many questions as you need to, we're all here to help! The wonderful thing about the Portal is we have all had to go through the learning curve ourselves... just consider us your training wheels!!!! [LOL] I guarantee you will have FUN!

Good luck and happy camping!
    Diane

9. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

Once you get the trailer somewhat level and popped up, You can take a regular spirit level and put it on the floor of your pup. readjust your jacks to get the floor as level as you want it and then go out and double check what the levels on the side of the trailer are showing. You can always pull them off and re align them if they are too far off, OR, take a permanent marker and mark the 'new' level spot on the bubble gauges.

10. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Thanks for the info, I will do the 4x4's and hope for the best!

11. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

True true, I just have been looking and planning for over a year before I bought, but didn't read about these things, more like features, types, etc.

Time to relax and go camping.

12. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Ok Diane, I am holding you to that! Thanks!

13. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Sounds likes a good idea...I will look into that, thanks for the info.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

What ever you do.. DO NOT use your stabilizer jacks to try and level the trailer.. They are not leveling jacks..

You have to level side to side first, whether you use 2x6 boards, lynx blocks or a B.A.L leveler under the low side tire, once leveled side to side you then use the tongue jack to level front to back... If you search this sight you'll find lots of posts refering to the above mentioned methods..

15. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Thanks Snow, I have read many post, that's why I was confused, but I didn't know about left to right first, thanks for that.

16. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

Yea, I forget the standard Pop up has stabilizers and not full fledged jacks. My trailmanor has 7000 pound jacks on it.

17. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

It may all seem overwhelming when you first start, but it WILL get easier.

When we got our first popup it took my wife and I TOGETHER at least 45 minutes to set the darn thing up and the first thought that came to mind was exactly what you felt, that I thought having a PU would be fun for the kids and us but if that was what it was setting up was going to be like, maybe it was a mistake to get a PU.

Now I can set it all up by MYSELF in about half that time.

Just post here on the Portal if you have any questions or concerns and there are so many experienced PU campers that will be more than willing to help you out.

18. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Thanks TX_F2, I will do, I hope to get it down pat soon, we have already assigned roles to the boys to make setup easier. My 5 yo has told everyone that he is in charge of the long cord lol!

19. Bjune

Bjune New Member

Or you could be poor like us.....or else DH is just cheap, and have a pup with NO fridge. No problems... You will do fine it isn't that much to worry about with the pup. Now if you were like my DDH. He worries about someone pulling HIM, not me and DGK'S out of his bed. LOL... Enjoy your pup.

20. pupateer

pupateer Native Texan

Giving your kids assigned jobs for setup is a good way to teach them responsibility. That said, I could set up my camper (and camp) by myself in about 15-20 minutes. With my wife and kids helping, it takes about 30-45 minutes... I actually do need my wife to help set up the awning, ours is not really a one person job.