ugh..tires?? (pics)

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Sugar, Sep 19, 2011.

1. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

The damage was done when the tire was under inflated and the flex of the sidewall and tread was occurring.
    Tires heated after over inflation are less likely to feel warm to the touch. They will let go with less warning.

Here is a common procedure for finding the correct street pressure for your tires:
    Find and empty parking lot.
    Inflate your tires to the max pressure listed on the sidewall.
    Mark the tires across the tread with a piece of chalk or crayon whatever really.
    Drive straight forward several feet, be sure not to turn at all.
    Look at the mark across the tread and see which part of mark has worn off.
    If the mark has worn off at the center but not at the edges you have too much pressure (duh i already told you max pressure would be too much). Drop the pressure and repeat steps 2-5 until the desired pattern is achieved. Be careful too low of a pressure will rub the mark so always start with too much and work your way down.

It your case with the outside tread gone, you have no real way to adjust the tire pressure to have the load evenly applied across the tread.

The treadwear shown indicates that a damaging period of under inflation has occurred. The tires are compromised and suspect. Be careful. Eyes wide open.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

3. Mixon

Mixon New Member

It's so much easier to replace them now than on the side of an interstate highway with semis only feet away at speed, plus cheaper than trying to find a tire store open on a Sunday with a full load and kids in the truck. Do it now, safer, easier, and it wouldn't affect your trip with worry/stress. Replace the spare too, I've had them fly apart once they get up to temp even if they look like new. Camping is supposed to be about fun, and it does have it's expenditures, better to take care of them on YOUR terms. Have fun, good luck!

4. tsc

tsc Member

Sarnia huh? I don't know what's across the border. But Can-Am RV in London (they are mainly an Airstream dealership) but Andy is suppose to be "the guy" when it comes to towing and hitching set up; they would know where to get your tires. Website

I'm about an hour from Ruston's and 1.5 hrs from Ferguson RV (ended up buying from Ruston's). But Ferguson World RV in St. Thomas use to be a Fleetwood/Coleman dealer also, they may have the tires you need for your Cobalt. Website

5. basspaul

basspaul Member

You don't need a RV shop, any good trailer shop should do. There is no difference in the tires used on an utility trailer than a PUP or RV. Dig in the yellow pages...

6. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

e-trailor does have good prices, I bought the Kendra tires with new wheels cheaper than I could get the tires locally. Now I have over 5000 miles on the new tires and wheels and they still look new. Plus I still have the old ones for extras. On a 3600 mile trip in June I took the old ones along plus had the spare on the camper. With three spares I was covered. Luckily I didn't need any of them.

7. Lizooki

Lizooki getting back 2 nature

Jumping in late ......
    As long as there are no bulges or cracks ......
    First off, properly inflate the tires and run them ..... I would be fine with it. The tires at the proper pressure won't even be on the worn tread until the wear gets even.
    Next, if there is nothing wrong with the spare ( it LOOKS new) buy one tire, put the new and the spare on the ground and save the best old tire as a spare.

-just a side note before the flaming starts. Dad was a tire man for a while. I have a background of motorsports where I dealt/deal with tire pressures and wear (and temps) on a regular basis.

What did you end up doing?

Matt

8. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Yeah.....I'm jumping in late too but, here goes.

My advice would be to replace the tires as soon as possible. I gambled on the notion of "They hold air and are not dry-rotted" and paid the price. I had to change two tires on the side of the road on one trip (one of those on the side of the interstate with cars and big rigs whizzing by at 65mph). In addition to having to buy new tires, I had to replace the wheel skirts on both sides of our camper as the tires ripped them off the sides as they came apart.

Never again will I assume tires are good just because they hold air and :look" good. The situation could have been worse. I could have had an accident or been held resposible for damage done to someone else's car by chunks of my tire as it came apart. I have since replaced all four tieres and the spare. It's not worth the risk given that tires are not that expensive.

Here's a pic of the side of my camper with the skirt ripped away.

[​IMG]

9. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

I agree with Carnut...

Heres a tire in like new cond.
    [​IMG]
    I had both tires fail this year within 100 miles of each other. Not a fun time to change em on the side of the freeway in the desert in the summer.....

Way easer to spend the $200 to $300 and get new tires....

Just my 2 cents worth...

10. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

They don't have to be used to blow. Here's a pic of my NEW tire blowout.

[​IMG]

11. tvketchum

tvketchum New Member

I am in agreement- underinflation for too many miles. Problem is, the damage can't be seen very easily. So new tires ASAP is the best route to go. The next thing to think about, is carry a tire gauge in the TV and check the pressure before every outing, and during the trip. I have had to change tires on my PUP, more than once, because I forgot this basic rule! So my equipment also includes a spare jack in the PUP, where I can get it easier than the TV jack, in the compartment behind the seat, under the load of gear in the TV. Also, I carry a 4 way 'spinner' lug wrench, which is far better at handling the lug nuts tightened by air impact and torque wrenches than any lug wrench supplied by an auto manufacturer. Plus, the lug nuts on the PUP are most always a different size than the TV lug nuts, so you need the variety of wrench sizes the spinner provides. This November, north of Atlanta on I-75, had a tire blow on the PUP. Less than 10 minutes later, we were on the way, with the spare securely installed.

12. turborich

turborich Active Member

old topic, I know. Replace those tires. They are already 4+ years old & have been run under inflated. They are an accident waiting to happen. Try Discount tire or E Trailer.

To the guy who said "as long as a trailer tire holds air then it's good" You should not be giving such dangerous advice.