Under 1500 # Dry Weight Under 200# Tongue Weight Pop Up

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by hiker74, Oct 30, 2014.

1. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Hello all
    *Originally posted this in the Introduce yourself area, but didn't get any responses
    While I joined this forum quite a long time ago I haven't been on here for a while. I toyed with the idea of getting a pop up to tow with our 2013 Subaru Outback (tow rating max 2700 lbs), but decided not to at the time as we did not have good storage options. We still don't have options, but are considering a $20/per month storage unit for the winter months and keeping it in our 1-car garage during the active seasons.

I want to go as light as possible as to give more flexibility as well as stability. We would like to get over hills without being in the right lane with the hazard flashers on (4 cylinder boxer engine). I've also heard getting a light hitch/tongue weight is key as well. Would like to stay 170 or less.

A couple things i've heard

-10' box units ride better than 8' models and usually have less tongue weight given weight distribution
    -Most pop ups are wood, skinned in vinyl or aluminum and can rot from the inside without knowledge
    -Some models/manufacturers use cheap tent material to save on the front end

What we want/don't need
    -Really don't need a furnace. Don't really plan to
    -Would like to have the mini fridge. Keeping critters out of coolers has been one of out pet peaves with tent camping
    -The ability to open the side door and throw in perishables while keeping non perishables in there is a big draw. Getting ready to camp prevents us from camping, so having everything i the pop up except perishables is great
    -Do not plan to cook inside. Really like the idea of the in/out stove to mount on the outside
    -Have 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 yrs old
    -Do not need AC right now but would like prewired for it
    -May travel to the following areas: Acadia national Park (Maine), Great Smoky Mountains (Tennessee). Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado). Glacier National park, etc

A couple models i'm considering. Please be frank with me and upfront and honest. Questions with them as well

-Forest River Rockwood 1940LTD Flagstaff 206LTD (1493# dry wt/174# Hitch)
    *My understanding is these are clones. Only difference is fabric color. Are they durable, is the tent fabric durable? Any issues with them?

-Jayco 806 (no longer produced, but have heard its a really nice unit) Also its 8', but has a parallel dinette that makes to a bed, so would do the job in terms of space
    *Are they durable, is the tent fabric durable? Any issues with them?

-Starcraft Starflyer 10 (1325# dry/140# Hitch)
    *Are they durable, is the tent fabric durable? Any issues with them? The earlier models had a zip door, but now they are more conventional. Given the weight and size of beds i'm really interested in this one.

-Quicksilver 10.0 (1050# Dry/135# Hitch)
    *Extremely interested in the concept of this, but pricing is crazy and not sure i'm prepared to spend this much. Any issues with these? *Are they durable, is the tent fabric durable?

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

To me, it's all about tongue weight (and packing the vehicle to accept the TW). I'd plan on tongue weight being 13% of the total trailer weigh so that the heavier the trailer the heavier the tongue weight.

If you want to keep tongue weight to 170 lbs that means a max trailer of 1700 lb loaded (10% TW min), 1300lb @ 13%.

For reference, my '96 Coach 806 speced @~1100lbs, 150TW, both empty.
    Loaded, TW varied from 215-230 lbs and so I assumed it weighed ~1700lb but never had it weighed.

You want a trailer with brakes.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Do keep in mind that dry weight doesn't include propane, battery and other options that may be on the trailer. Using the GVWR will give you a better idea if you can haul it with your setup. You may not be hauling it loaded but you will not be hauling it completely dry either.

I had an old 91 jayco 1006 the tenting was the old fasioned type and honestly the biggest pain and very prone to mold. Most newer trailers don't have this type tenting anymore. My trailer was very solid. Floors and the whole box was solid. The lift system requires no maintenance and if you buy new the lift system has a life time warrenty for original owner. I can't speak for the newer trailers so not sure if jayco is still as solid.

Good luck with your search.

4. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Jayco and Starcraft are now one company. We were looking heavily at a 2008 Jayco Jay Series 806 as it had the really low weight as well as the parallel dinette on the small bed end...essentially you could have two larger sleeping areas on the ends in a pretty small unit. If you look up Jayco now they have the same floorplans and dimensions as Starcraft. I think the Starflyer models are still exclusive to Starcraft though. I know the key is not folding it down when its wet..I've heard that time and time again. We live in a 1930's midwest neighborhood with no access to the backyard so any popping up at home to dry and air out would need to be done in the driveway or front yard. The Quicksilver sounds interesting as the entire tent comes off easily so you can drape it over your deck to air out (just like we do with our 11x11 Eureka dome tent currently

5. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Definitely looking at weights loaded which is why i'm trying to find the lightest possible (especially the Tongue) as well as the trailer. The Quicksilver would be ideal and provide the most flexibility, but the Starcraft Starflyer is second. Starcraft seems to be the only company out there making a conventional pop up offered bare bones for towing with cars. I'm concerned with how they are built, but they may be fine. The Starcraft Comets are really nice and have a much better tent material warranty. I'm wondering if they are similar tent material or what. The advantage we will have with the tongue weight is that currently when we go camping we put essentially 150# in the back (dog has to ride up in with the kids). With a pop up we could put that stuff either in the pop up or in the Yakima Skybox roof box if needed distributing some of the weight. (probably hiking gear and possibly sleeping bags)

6. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

What really helped me during my search was going through the brochures we have here for each brand. I was able to see the trailer weights, hitch weights, floorplans, etc...this helped to narrow down my search and save time.

Happy shopping!

7. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

I love my '97 Starcraft 1021! Tows great and has a fridge and furnace. Most pups won't let you in the fridge without popping up.

I think you'll regret skipping the furnace. Mine is wired for A/C, but I get by with a Maxx Air fan in the roof.

8. hiker74

hiker74 Member

I may go that route. We have a cube heater that throws a lot of heat. I do forget that the beds on a pop up don't have anything under them.

9. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I have a 1989 Jayco 806. Was looking for something light and found this from a friend. Removed inside stove and sink, has 3 way refrigerator that can be accessed with top down if you don't mind crawling in. Replaces 570X8 tires with 530X12 to make it pull easier, stock otherwise. Am pulling with 6 cyl pickup, don't really know it is back there gas millage dropped about 1 mpg.
    Tenting material seem good, no problems with it. I think it is original.
    Any questions just ask. Tom

10. hiker74

hiker74 Member

In terms of 8' conventional pop ups (non aluminum) the Jayco 806's seem to be really good. I like the horseshoe dinette that converts to a parallel bed to the bunk. This way you get two full length beds on that end and a bed on the other side as well. Most also seem to already have the diamond plate front protector which is a plus. I believe 2006 and newer also has the indoor outdoor stove which is nice as I do not envision cooking inside unless its pouring down rain. I don't
    know for a fact but the older Jayco (pre Starcraft designs) seem better built, but that's just me.

11. kmaxxxx

kmaxxxx New Member

We love our Quicksilver 10.0.
    Yes it was pricy but compared to the price of a bigger vehicle we felt it was a good value. It has a nice attachment for an outdoor stove and I don't like to cook inside anyway. We use a small space heater and it works fine to hear the space. We bought a cube fridge and it sits on the floor And acts as a nightstand for our bed :) you have to put carpet tiles on the floor as it's really cold,
    But for us the idea of aluminum that doesn't rust or rot was very attractive. The tent seems high quality, no problems so fat. Good luck with your search! We are in the Chicago area if you ever wanted to check one out!

Sent from my iPhone

12. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I tow with a 2011 Outback 2.5i with CVT. We decided on a Palomino 280LTD. It is similar to the Pony model that came before.

The on-the-road weight is about 1,600 pounds with almost all options (including AC). The TW is light enough that I can lift it a bit... Probably around 150-170 pounds.

Other than AC, it has a fridge, sink (cold only), furnace, indoor/outdoor stove, and heated bunk mattresses. It also has an awning and electric brakes.

It is an 8 footer, which makes the beds a bit on the smaller side, but the big one is fine for me and my wife. Our son sleeps on the other bunk, and our daughter is still sleeping in a pack-n-play, which we put on the dinette bunk.

The biggest downside is lack of storage compared to a larger model. We use a large roof rack and, of course, the back of the car for a lot of stuff.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

14. hiker74

hiker74 Member

I'm still looking at lighter weight campers. While I was off over Christmas and New Years I did a little more research. I learned that the new Jayco Jay Series 10SD is essentially the same unit as the Starflyer 10, but has a Duratek canvas with a 5 yr warranty as well as a different interior color. The weight of the Jayco is a little heavier than I wanted though. The Duratek looks similar to a Sunbrella or the upgraded canvas that comes on the Starcraft Comet series. They put quite a bit of premium on the Jayco brand over the Starflyer. I've actually requested a quote for a bare bones (no fridge/furnace or stove) starcraft starflyer with the duratek canvas (given that they roll down the line with the Jaycos and are the same box). I've also started searching Yakaz.com and Searchtempest.com which are craigslist nationwide search engines for a used Quicksilver 10.0. Does anyone know any issues with the early Quicksilver units, i.e. 2005-2007?