Under 2500 with shower?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MaeKay, Oct 27, 2019.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

I’m helping a family member find a trailer. I’ve done what I can to explain weights to them. Can you recommend an A frame or popup that has at least one queen bed, hopefully an indoor shower but outside they may settle for, under 2500? We really like the Rockwood 214HW but it’s just above 2500 DRY. (Yes, I understand dry vs GVWR).

Do they even make indoor showers in something without a slide or a high wall? Because those slides and high walls add several hundred pounds.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

That looks EXACTLY like what they're looking for! Luckily their budget is much bigger than mine so they have a better chance of finding one. Do you know what years they started making that model?

Thank you SOOO much! You guys are so much more efficient at finding these things than I am.

4. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with how much room there is to add a mattress topper with this model? Our Fleetwood Bayside had 0" of room for even a 1" topper. I need to do more research about adding a legit (thin) mattress to a bunk end and the advisability of it.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

MaeKay likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our pup, while old, doesn't have a slide out and not a high wall, but does have an indoor shower as well as an outdoor shower, and one king sized bunk.

We have puzzle tiles (I forget what they are really called) under our mattresses, 1" padded mattress covers and another 1" of memory foam. Total about 5" or a little more. Closes no problem at all.

MaeKay likes this.
  7. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Thanks, Orchid! I'll pass on all this info to them. They knew to ask me for help when searching for a trailer. Just like me, they feel they're way too old to sleep on the ground anymore and so their trips have been more limited in the past few years.

Orchid likes this.
  8. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

I would say an A-Frame is most likely out of the question if the shower toilet is a must, I personally don't know of any with a shower/toilet that isn't a HW. (Although I'm not an expert, so maybe there are some out there?) We have a 2014 Flagstaff MAC 228 (12 foot base and no slide) which has the shower/toilet and a DRY weight of 2201. Unfortunately that wouldn't give wiggle room for extra cargo, people, etc. There definitely are smaller ones out there - like they said about usually the 10 foot base is a little harder to locate with a shower/toilet - but they are out there! Good luck with your search!

MaeKay likes this.