Union Pacific 4014 trip

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sblanck, Jan 5, 2019.

1. sblanck

sblanck Member

Morning,

Curious if there are any railfans on here who are making plans to camp and see the Bigboy 4014 this year between Cheyenne and Ogden?
    Started discussing it with the DW and I think we will start making plans to do that this late spring early summer.
    https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/

2. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

Hi Sean - thanks for posting. While I may not qualify as a "true" rail fan, I like trains and rail history very much. I just signed up for the Union Pacific email announcements.

3. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Why couldnt this be on the east coast..

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I worked within the rail industry for a few years. Ask if you like to hear in what sections but I knew an elderly fellow who worked on steam locomotives. We won't be attending but do have much interest in such things. Love industrial history as well.

5. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

Thanks for the reminder. Forgot they were that far in the restoration, definitely want to plan this! Remember going to the train museum in Green Bay not knowing they had one there and being completely blown away being able to see one in person, never imagined the possibility of seeing one in action again!

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I'm not really a train buff, but I've never lost the curiosity and affection for trains that I had as a boy. I had an uncle who went to work for the Union Pacific after WW II and rose through the ranks to Chief Signal Engineer before he retired.

We were in Cheyenne last summer and saw a steam locomotive (don't know which one) sitting in the UP yard. Also visited Big Boy 4004 which is on display in a Cheyenne city park. [:)C]

7. chambo

chambo Active Member

Looks really fun. Might be worth a trip.

8. sblanck

sblanck Member

Currently our plan is to see it as it passes through Wyoming either to or from Ogden and the celebration. A Union Pacific steam forum has nearly everyone stating they will be heading to Ogden for the celebration. That town is going to be so crowded it will be miserable. Plus the locomotive when at a display destination is just that, a display. I want to see it running not sitting still.

9. sblanck

sblanck Member

Oh so this would be our first trip to bear country. How do we deal with all of that? When my son and I went to summer camp with the scouts everything was stored in the vehicles in camp. I have a child with Type I diabetes that sometimes can require sugar for a low in the night. We keep candy next to her pillow.

10. Arlyn Aronson

Which bear country are you passing through or staying at? For the blacks we have here, we don't worry much.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  11. sblanck

sblanck Member

Colorado and Wyoming have bears. Texas has bears in Big Bend but we have never camped there. Snakes and gators is what we are familiar with.

12. Arlyn Aronson

Black bears will be a problem, if they've been that way at whatever CG your staying at beforehand. By nature they're hardly ever a problem and will stay far, far away from you but if they've been raiding garbage cans or food boxes of campers, then they might. Just check locally beforehand. Grizzlies are much higher up the food chain and are less fearful of humans more prone for trouble so they are in a different category. My guess is you'll not need to worry much and just take some prudent precautions for B Bears.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. When you get ready to make reservations see if you can talk with a ranger and get their input on what you should do in that case. I know a friend of mine when he camped in black bear country just kept a small tube of gel frosting with him and he never had a Problem. It might be different with grizzly country.