Unistrut roof brace

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Matt Benoit, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

The unistrut is the more heavy duty version from home depot.. I believe there were 2.

Are you referring to the 14x14 picture frame i made to raise the AC up 3/4in? I don't have any pictures of the that.. But it's simply a pice of 1x2 pine, that i made into a box. I used silicone between the box and the roof, and screwed it down. Then used eternabond on to completely water tight the joint.

2. rob87

rob87 New Member

Yes the 14x14 picture frame. That works. You used pointed lag bolts to go into the existing wood right?

3. Matt Benoit

On the picture frame i just used wood screws. There was a similar wood picture frame for the structure of the roof. I just screwed mine to it. The unistrut was attached to the side boards using nuts and bolts.

4. rob87

rob87 New Member

So you went through the actual roof to bolt everything down?

5. Matt Benoit

Be specific. Are you talking about the other picture frame again? If so, then i screwed it down.

6. rob87

rob87 New Member

Trying to figure out for mounting the unistrut yo the ceiling and sides. I have pointed lag bolts, but did you use nuts and bolts and if so how?

7. Matt Benoit

The unistrut is bolted through the side walls using a 90 degree bracket. One bolt on each end of the unistrut. Only 4 bolts attach the unistrut to the side boards. As long as your side walls aren't rotten, they will support the weight. They already carry the weight of the entire roof and air conditioner. Look back at the pictures, if you zoom in you can see the bracket at the end of the piece of unistrut

8. rob87

rob87 New Member

Ok. And for the center braces, the smaller ones they are tied in with a nut and bolt into the longer pieces of unistrut, correct? Once again I greatly appreciate your help.

9. Matt Benoit

Those cross braces (the small selection of unistrut) are attached to the longer sections using unistrut hardware. It's a nut with a spring that fits inside the channel. The flat bracket ties them together.

10. Collin Carroll

Collin Carroll New Member

Thanks for all of the information OP. I think I’m going to give this a try on my old ABS roof. The exterior ABS is all gone, but I think I can use this method even with the foam. The outside is getting a few coats of GG. I’m worried about shipping the interior abs plastic that’s peeling seeing there isn’t much else to the roof. I like your idea of the plywood to clean up the interior. Do you think I could do this? I have an 2000 bayside which I’m sure had a different roof make up then yours.

11. Matt Benoit

I can't comment on whether or not you could use the plywood for the ceiling inside. My roof structure has wooden cross bracing that i was able to use to attach the plywood.