Universal Studios - Campground?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Ryoukoe, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

Can anyone reccomend a good campground around Universal Studios in Orlando, Fl? I looked up the KOA down there and its $54 a night which is the same price as staying at Disney Land ><.

2. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

It has been many years since we camped at Disney Land in Orlando, but their CG was GREAT!! We enjoyed the CG as much as Disney Land itself. It was only a short walk to any of the many Tram shuttle stops that would take you to any of the Disney locations you wanted to go. FREE!! If you have Kids you couldn't ask for a better CG for a Disney vacation. Always lots of activities going on for the Youngsters. Even though it was a long time ago, it will be remembered by my Family as one of our BEST vacations.

* Can't remember the actual name of the CG but it was Disney owned and operated and adjoined the Theme park.

3. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

Hey you! Disney World's Fort Wilderness is fantastic but Kelly Park in Apopka is really nice, not too far away and a lot cheaper ($24.00) . Loads of wildlife and nice foliage between sites. We just stayed two weeks ago and are going back in October. Wekiwa Springs is nice too but are walk up only for now. Here's a link for you to check out. http://floridarambler.com/florida-best-camping/camping-near-disney/

Taken from the dividing foliage between our site and the next.
    [​IMG]
    Tube run Looking upstream
    [​IMG]
    Tube run coming to swim area.
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the jokester. [LOL]
    [​IMG]

4. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Kelly park tends to get really busy ESP on,the weekend check lk Louisa in clermont 20 min from attractions very pristine

5. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

We thought the crowds (only at the swim area, the campground wasn't full) at Kelly were worth it and that was while school was still out, especially having a separate entrance and special swim times for campers. Lake Louisa didn't seem to have a lot of shade or much of anything but it is pretty. Just my [2C] [8D]

6. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

Ok cool. We are planning on going in February as a treat for our two older nephews. Wasn't sure if they would be too old for Disney or not >< so thinking Universal Studios instead.

7. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

Islands of Adventure at Universal rocks!

8. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We stayed at Tropical Palms a fews years back when we could not get in Disney. I like to try Kelly Park.

9. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

In February, Lake Louisa S.P. would be good too.
    There isn't much shade at Lake Louisa making it a great "winter" campground.

I have never been to Kelly Park so can't compare, but it does look nice and am looking into it now, lol.

10. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

I've tent camped a lot around Central Florida but not so much in the pup. Mainly Lithia Springs, Hillsborough River State Park and Kelly Park but of all the camping I've done anywhere in anything (in FL), I think Kelly is my favorite. So much so that I hesitated on posting about it here [LOL]. We'd love to come to the rally but have plans to stay at Kelly that same weekend. We'll be introducing my mother to the joys of the pup. [8D] Definitely check it out if you get the chance, give Lithia Springs a shot too. If I remember correctly from previous posts your in AUB so you're about halfway between Kelly and Lithia!

11. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Thanks. I will definitely be looking into them.
    Hopefully you can make the next rally in the spring.
    They are a blast.

12. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

Yes I thought the older kids would enjoy Harry Potter world, ok I would too lol. I will definitely look into these campgrounds that were suggested. I don know why universal can't be like Disney and have hotels and campgrounds attached lol.

13. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

where universal Studios was built it was no land for a campground

14. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

There are three hotels on site but they're pricey. Portofino Bay, Hard Rock, and Royal Pacific. We stayed at Royal Pacific during our babymoon (last vacay pre baby) and it was pretty nice. Harry Potter is awesome but be sure to hit the Spiderman ride. It's amazing, especially for boys.

15. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

Wizfisher - we hope to as well. Not just for us but my daughter too. While she does great without other kids, having kids to play with would be the ultimate camp experience for her!

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Ok, I gotta be the one to say it because I grew up with Disney WORLD in Orlando. Grandfather worked there since before they opened, so I literally, physically, was at Disney ALL the time. Anyway, point is...Orlando = Disney WORLD. California = Disney LAND.

That could be one heckuva GPS problem! [LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

17. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

Rotnmom - I said it just didn't go in to detail. [LOL] Your posts crack me up [:D] we seems to share a lot of personality traits, at least from what I've read. [8D]

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

LOL Wildwood....I saw that, so I didn't quote you cause you got it right! LOL We should PM/email and compare notes. I lived in Winter Garden for awhile too, on Lake Apopka!

[:D]

19. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

OK I stand corrected...Disney World.... Like I said "It's been a long time ago". It still was a great vacation. We even jumped in the Van and ran over to Sea World for a day while we were there. We were back for the afternoon activities at the CG.

20. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Noticed it as well, and almost said something too. Lol