Unstable_Tripod

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by nancyanddan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

I’m sure many of you remember Unstable_Tripod. He was a member here for many years though he hadn’t visited recently. Tom was a fountain of information on all aspects of popups, and was always happy to help when folks had problems or questions. We became friends here on the portal, and I so enjoyed spending time with him at pup rallies and on occasion when traveling through WA state where he lived with his wife Kathy.

I am saddened to report that Tom passed away this morning from Stage 4 Glioblastoma, a very aggressive form of brain cancer. He became ill last summer and his condition continued to deteriorate. I’m glad his family was with him and supportive all the way.

RIP, Unstable_Tripod. You will be missed for sure.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Rest in peace, i never knew him , but his posts live on here for others to learn from.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. I enjoyed his photographs too. I'm glad I was able to meet up with him near Grand Canyon for short visit, when we were both there a few years back.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Good bye old buddy

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed his posts here and have missed his presence on the Portal. I wish his family and friends peace while coping his passing.

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update. We will miss him. He was very helpful to me in many of the posts he made. Loved his handle, too!

7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Also, I think I'll talk to my wife, and maybe note in my will, that if I die, then the portal should be notified. We are not friends in the traditional sense of it, but our community does care when loss happens.
    Popup Steve was gone awhile. Orchid disappeared for a bit. I can't imagine my morning routine without reading a post by Tombiasi or Snow!

Orchid and neighbormike like this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

RIP Tom. We still read many posts from him.

tzmartin likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. UST was a fountain of useful information and entertaining as well. We never met but he will be missed.

tzmartin likes this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

R.I.P Tom, your wisdom will be missed.

tzmartin likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Rest in Peace, Tom. I was just thinking about you yesterday. Prayers for the family.

tzmartin likes this.
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Safe travels to whatever lies beyond. I never met him but ran across his posts often over the years. May his family take some solace in his impact to so many people in many ways. Helpful souls seem like a rarity these days, but I am pleased to see our community portal has a surplus of such sentiment.

tzmartin and kcsa75 like this.
  13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I'm so saddened to learn of Tom's passing. He was a good man and a friend. Tom was kind enough to invite me to stay with him when I flew out to attend the Arizona PUP Rally in May of 2012. He will be missed.

kitphantom and tzmartin like this.
  14. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Sorry to hear of Tom's passing. I learned many things and was inspired from him many times. Prayers for the family for peace.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  15. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. He was a wealth of information. Peace to his family.

16. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I hate to hear of his passing....

17. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

I wanted to share a quote from Ed Abbey’s wonderful book Desert Solitaire. It is especially appropriate in memory of Tom.

Benedicto:

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through pastoral valleys tinkling with bells, past temples and castles and poets towers into a dark primeval forest where tigers belch and monkeys howl, through miasmal and mysterious swamps and down into a desert of red rock, blue mesas, domes and pinnacles and grottos of endless stone, and down again into a deep vast ancient unknown chasm where bars of sunlight blaze on profiled cliffs, where deer walk across the white sand beaches, where storms come and go as lightning clangs upon the high crags, where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you -- beyond that next turning of the canyon walls.

Edward Abbey

neighbormike and kitphantom like this.