Unused reserved spots

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Jun 9, 2020.

1. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

not just trailers - back in our tenting days, my sister and I both pull in - each in a loaded minivan. we have only our daughters with us (we left hubbies at home). we each had large tent, cots, screen room, coolers, bikes, and all the beach stuff for a whole week. The guy across the road turns his chair around to watch us (i was guessing that he thought he was going to have a nice show). He comes over as we are finishing up and says to us "I guess you guys have done this before"...... he later asked us if we had a wine bottle opener - yep....

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  2. dabsond

dabsond Member

I too enjoy watching the parade of campers as they set up. I see the largest campers with just a husband and wife occupying the site. I have witnessed a few moments of domestic strife as the camper parking must be re-accomplished a couple of times. I even saw a T-shirt in a local state park reading "Sorry for what I called you while you were backing up the camper".

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Years ago, I took my friend and her then 11-year-old daughter on a trip to Utah, in our first tiny, pup. I took a tent for myself, there was only enough room for them in the pup.
    At the first stop, in a campsite I was familiar with, the couple across the way sat in their chairs next to their large TT, and watched us set up. Not too much of a show, since we'd practiced before we left. The next campsite was probably more of a show, though we didn't see anyone watching, I was too busy trying to back in. Again, a campsite we'd used previously, I just didn't realize how uphill and angled it was until trying to back in the pup. I had to break off and go around the loop again, partially to let vehicles go by us. On the third try I got it safely in place.
    Third campsite was a simple pull-through. There was another camper who would walk by, glaring at us, the entire time we were there. We never did figure that out, the 11-year-old was very quiet, we weren't loud either. Were we in the spot the other camper wanted? No idea, it was funny but a little creepy.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Last place we camped, the grounds were pretty confusing and there were little if any signs other than the posts at each site. I saw a huge camper go be 2 or 3 times, and drive around other parts of the campground more than that, because they couldn't find their site number.

5. tfischer

If you are going to watch someone set up at least do it discretely. Nothing is more tacky than when people purposely set up chairs to watch someone (me or another camper) set up camp.

Orchid, kcsa75, firepit and 5 others like this.
  6. kitphantom

@tfischer Signage is one of my few complaints with AZ state parks, both at loop intersections and sites. In many cases, the number is on a pole at the back of the site. I assume they don't want huge, ugly signs, but a couple of times it has been more than interesting to find where my site is - even when I know on the map where it is supposed to be.

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Few years ago we setting up in a prime spot, surprised it was open, as it stayed shaded most of the day & offered some privacy; bout halfway thru a dude w/ his family slowed down to a crawl & kept looking over at us, I'm like wth...he circled the loop twice, finally pulled in across from us on the other side of the loop & started setting up...he then came over to our site & made the remark how nice it must be to have shade & if it was just the 2 of us; I told him I'd just gotten out of Charlie Ward at the VA 2 days prior & was waiting for my meds to kick in & was hoping I could stay calm, he said enjoy the weekend & hauled azz back to his site...some dang strange ones out there lol

TheLight75, Orchid, Pommom70 and 2 others like this.
  8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Well there is no fun in that now is there? Not only do we purposely set up chairs, but we have numbered cards made up so we can score you.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If I was having a hard time backing in and setting up and someone set up chair to watch me. I would tell them to go F themselves.

Steveo4090, Orchid, tfischer and 2 others like this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm not a "people watcher" to begin with. If I see someone having trouble or stressing out while parking or setting up, I don't find it entertaining. More than not, I feel sympathy. I've been there and will likely be there again.

sandreas, Orchid and Rik Peery like this.
  11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I'm solidly on the side of you paid for it, if you don't use it, that's ok.

We travel for about four to five weeks each summer. I have reservations for most of those nights right now. If I have a situation where I am going to miss the first night and now I have the added stress of scrambling to find a place for four or five days that would cause me to take undue risks to get to that campground. From an impact point of view, I think it's great when one of our state parks gets the revenue and the campsite doesn't get beat down. I can't remember I time when I looked around a campground and thought we need MORE people here. I've had issues with campsites full of discourteous campers, I can't remember having a problem with an empty campsite. And the worst situation would be to roll in at midnight and find out they gave away your campsite.

I do have empathy for folks trying to get away at the last moment and wanting to stay at the prime campgrounds. I always thought a sliding scale would be interesting. The price gets lower the closer to the date. Book a year in advance and pay a steep premium. Book it the night before and get a bargain.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Or the folks that weekend only in the summer. I'm booking four one week sites and I can find all sorts of availability Monday to Thursday but folks want to just come up on Friday and Saturday. Summer should be 6 night minimum.

13. kitphantom

@Jimbow - some of the USFS campgrounds in CO have a 2 night minimum reservation for the weekends. I get the reasoning, but it's a pain for us when we need an overnight stop on the way to our destination or home. We could - but don't - just reserve the two nights and only use one, I suppose. That's as good an explanation as any for some of the unused reservations. [For our original trip planned for August this year, we had reservations in a KOA in CO for that very reason, rather than a USFS campground we might have preferred. We've shortened the trip and changed things around a bit.]

Toedtoes likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The problem with those ideas is that they benefit people with money.

Many people have jobs that won't allow for a paid vacation. If you put a 6-day minimum on summer camping, then those people not only have to pay the campsite fees, but they lose income for 3-4 days.

As for the sliding scale, again it benefits people with money. Those with money will happily pay the premium to book early. Those at the lower income end won't be able to pay that premium so they are unlikely to get a campsite at a popular campground.

I love empty campgrounds, but I don't want to see people turned away because someone decided to pay for a site and let it sit empty. It sure would upset me if I were the one turned away.

All the campgrounds I know that have a "first night occupation required" don't revoke the reservation until the following day's check in. So you would never arrive at midnight and find your site taken.

kcsa75 likes this.
  15. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I hear that...i usually go on thurs and avoid it...today i was surrounded by spectators...and being the only pop up surrounded by 30 ft rigs i bet they felt sorry for me...lol

Orchid and kcsa75 like this.
  16. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

We ran into this last year too. NY (Watkins Glen) wanted a 2 night minimum. Well, it was just an overnight place to stay on our way out to Boston. Even paying for 2 nights, it was still cheaper for me to "throw away" the second night, than it was to camp at a private campground nearby.

Which is why I avoid any place that has a minimum stay now. Dude, I'm camping - that means mobile. If I wanted to be forced into staying in the same place every night, I'd rent a hotel.:)

Disclaimer: we often stay multiple nights at a location - it's our vacation after all. I just don't want to be forced into doing it via budgetary reasons.

17. tfischer

must be nice to not have to work and have no understanding toward those that do. Yikes.

Steveo4090, Toedtoes and kcsa75 like this.
  18. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Saw a camper go to the dump station and then back to his site. He spent the next half an hour, with an impact and a level, leveling the camper with his stabilizers. Wife and kids stood outside watching.

19. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I was being a bit sarcastic. Some people complain about one nighters, some can complain about two nighters, someone else can complain about one week stays when they want to stay a month.

And I am working, I can just be mobile for the summer.

tfischer likes this.
  20. tfischer

This summer I probably could be too. Haven’t been into the office in over 3 months and no plans to anytime soon. The question is whether a cell data connection in the boonies would support my job.