Up-down, Down-up (mostly)?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Yukon Jake, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

'94 Coleman Roanoke

I'm not sure whether to ask this in the lift system, bunk ends, leveling, or stabilizing areas, so I figured I'd ask here ('cause I AM a newbie) and some kindly moderator could move it if necessary.

On our last campout, my bride cranked up the roof, the first time she had done it. When I used the shepards’ poles to push the bed bows into position (raising and shaping out the tent roof), it seemed much easier than usual (there’s usually a little tension there, with the bed bows having to be gently “convinced” to go all the way to the seam in the canvas). But, when I was installing the door, it wouldn’t quite fit. This is when I discovered that my bride hadn’t raised the roof quite all of the way; it was about a quarter inch too shy of all the way up. I think that this shortage on my bride’s part is what made the bed bows go up so easily.

So, my question is, would I be doing any damage to the lifters or the frame if I did the pop up in that order from now on, giving myself that 1/4-inch of slack in the roof until after the bed bows are up? I ask that knowing Up-down / Down-up, that the roof needs to go up before the stabilizers go down and vice versa, But is that last quarter inch or so of roof uppliness enough to have caused any damage or to cause any damage in the future?

What do you pros think?

2. madfireball

madfireball New Member

Not unless you can get the safety bars in place. You sure don't want to be in there if the top comes down. I would not take the risk.

3. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

What are safety bars? Something to hold the roof up? I have none.

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

And you won't have safety bars on a Coleman. The lift system is different than the Pals, even if one cable breaks only that corner would tend to lower. (go to the Owner's Manual section above, under the PUP logo, and look at the lift system diagrams)
    Back to the question: It shouldn't hurt, but you really shouldn't have to do it either. (Why do you want to crawl under the bunkend for a half turn?) You fasten the bunkend canvas AFTER you put in the shepherds poles right? Some people find unzipping the the bunkends helps also.

5. mv520

mv520 Member

If (strictly following the Coleman manual) your putting the stabilizers down only after the top is fully up, with your propsed scheme your walking inside the back of the PUP without stabilizers down. 1 normal sized person is probably OK, but if your ever joined by a second inside, the whole PUP could tip backwards.

If putting up bed bow & shepherds pole is really that awfully difficult, perhaps the shepherds pole is 1 notch too long. I'm assuming yours is adjustable. Perhaps shorten it 1 notch and see if its easier to install, yet still adequately stretches the bunk end canvas.