Update on roof membrane replacement

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Strawhouse, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

My NTM 8' 2007 Flagstaff PUP had ripples in the roof when I bought it. The roof itself is sound, with no apparent sagging or damage--although I'm prepared to address any damage I may reveal when the existing membrane is removed. I have done some research and would like recover the roof before my camping season begins. I'm confident that the remaining 2 ft of snow will be gone by April! :)

I'm leaning toward EPDM, but I would appreciate feedback from others who have used this or other membranes.
    Questions:
    >I would use white EPDM. I've read about the black base discolouring or showing through. Has this been an issue in your application?
    >One video showed using a heat gun to remove the caulking, but did not recommend a temperature. Another website recommended 300F. Will this do the job? I can buy either a 300/500F or 750/1000F heat gun for under $30 CDN.
    >I'm looking for a source of roof membrane in a 12' length--preferably between Barrie and North Bay, Ontario. It seems that the shortest online lengths are 25'.

All comments, advice and suggestions welcome!

2. Strawhouse

Found list of suppliers of Epdm in Ontario. Thought this might be helpful to others.

Attached Files:

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Hope your project goes well and the roof underneath is good. Do you still have snow?

4. Strawhouse

Hi Denis!
    Thanks, I think my roof is solid, but I'm prepared for problems...
    The actual Epdm installation appears to be a relatively simple procedure.
    Yes, we still have snow. We've had several days above 0F and a few warmer (45F) days with rain, so we lost about 2 feet of snow in the past week or so--and we are currently getting significant amounts of rain due to a Texas low. Colorado lows bring us massive snowstorms! I have 1-1/2 feet left in my yard and around my pup.
    We'll have snow in the bush for at least another week or two, but with any luck the ground around my pup should be dry enough for me to pull her up to her parking space by next weekend.

I'm currently helping backstage for our local theatre production of Willy Wonka. We wrap up on Sunday, so I'll arrange to pick up my Epdm, advhesive, etc. sometime next week.

Looking forward to seeing you in MD. I bought a Rummikub game! Also have the app on my iPad mini! :D

5. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Yeah Rummikub!! Also looking forward to seeing you @ the MD rally -
    geez - now I will have to look for the app.