updated my diesel heater install

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by aggiepm, Sep 18, 2021.

1. aggiepm

aggiepm New Member

for those that warned me about putting my tank inside my pup cause it might leaked.... it leaked. Putting the gas fitting at the bottom of the tank is a horrible design, there is no way to tighten the fitting properly, so of course, that is where it leaked.

Got a new tank, bought a stand up fuel fitting so it will take fuel from the top of the tank and perfection!!!!! No more leaky fitting at the bottom, no more fitting at the bottom at all!!!

20210918_131132~2.jpg

gladecreekwy and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hope it stays dry!

3. aggiepm

aggiepm New Member

it's working great! I'm super happy!

bobinfleet and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

I am going to install a diesel heater in my pup. The only concern I have is how hot the flooring near the heater's exhaust will get during high operation. I have seen mounting plates that have a circular ring of steel surrounding the exhaust and intake pipes. I was wondering how hot the exhaust area gets and if I need to purchase the ring mounting plate.

5. aggiepm

aggiepm New Member

I don't know the actual temp, but I don't have any ring. I just but a whole in the floor big enough for all the exhaust and intake and fuel, and used the metal mounting plate to bolt it to the floor.

6. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I will just use the mounting plate that came with the unit. I already bought the stand pipe to put in the top of the fuel tank. I read that many of the bottom mounted fuel pick ups leaked for the same reason you mentioned.

7. aggiepm

aggiepm New Member

yup the stand up fuel pipe is a must! good luck! Totally love mine now that install is all perfect

8. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

Just one more question. I watched the video you did on the heater install. Very nice video...thanks. Where is the vent for the return air. It looks like once you close the lid on the dinette seat, there is no way for the heater to recycle the air in the pup? I will be putting a vent in the side of my dinette so the heater can draw air from the cabin. It would appear that your heater would create a vacuum once the seat lid was closed?

9. aggiepm

aggiepm New Member

ya I did not create a return. From all the research I did no one ever does that. All the woodwork is leaky enough that air still comes in no problem. I don't have any issues, even on full blast I get A LOT of air coming out.

10. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

Ok, thanks again. I get the "leaky" part as my PUP has the same type of construction..lol.

11. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Double post

12. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I kinda think about it as a condensation remover by always cycling in fresh hot air and pushing out through the leaks and cracks. Though ducting back into it would make it more efficient

nitrohorse likes this.
  13. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

When I fitted my heater I put the base plate on top of a silicone heat resistant mat then coated the the edges of the holes in the floor with sealant used for chimney flues and covered it with aluminium tape.
    IMG_20200322_110640962popup.jpg IMG_20200108_152120439 - Copypopup.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021