updating/makeover for our pop-up, would like some advice

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by DeeLella87, Mar 18, 2019.

1. DeeLella87

DeeLella87 New Member

Hi everyone! With the days getting longer and warmer, hubby and I (mostly me) are going to tackle updating our pop up to take it out of 1995 and into 2019! Ive been youtubing and pinterest'ing, and looking up prices of fabrics and all, but I wanted some advice and pointers from those that have done it already. Sorry that its a long post.
    Bit of background. We got a 1995 Jayco 1207 last May. We put stick on tiles on the floor right on top of the laminate, and we replaced the ice box with a mini fridge, and we were content with it looking the way it did. Fast forward to the end of summer and Ive been thinking about ways to update it and just make it more functionable (we are going to add shelves and storage) and to make it feel more like home since we used it so much.

Cushions- They are in pretty good condition, no rips or tears in the material. I plan to recover them with the current material still on. What is the best way for someone with little sewing experience to do? Velcro? Buttons? Sew it all on? What type of material is best to use, or is it more of a personal preference?

Curtains/Valance- We plan to get reflective insulation and have them on the back of our curtains to help insulate the pop up (we camp mid May thru Mid October in the northeast so it does get a bit chilly. Is it easier to sew onto the existing curtains to do that or should we just use the clips from the old curtains when we make the new ones?

Cabinets- Id like to prime and paint the cabinets and add new hardware. Since its not wood, is there a certain paint I should choose? or a certain paint to stay away from?
    For those of you that replaced the hardware on the cabinets, did you just go to home depot or did you go to a camping store? Im just concerned about the trip up to the campground and home since the doors and drawers won't have anything to prevent them from opening.

We are also going to paint the countertops using a countertop paint kit to *hopefully* make it look like granite We shall see how that truly turns out.

I think that's it for what we want to do. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Orchid likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow. Lots to do! Before you do the curtians, maybe look up reflextex and pop up gizmos on the portal for some help with the cold!

Yes paint the cabinites, clean , lightly sand , prime then paint. Use a paint for cabinites. It will work just not be as durable as wood.

Ive seen the rustulium kits for laminate, it might look good. Others just paint theres and add a top coat of polyurethane.

Take pictures and share!
    Good luck , and im in nj also!

3. DeeLella87

DeeLella87 New Member

It is lots to do! Im hoping it all goes relatively smoothly! Ive never tackled a project like this but im confident it will look better than what it does now.
    I looked up, back in October after a very cold camping weekend, how to insulate a pop up. We are getting bunk end covers for the exterior. and putting that reflectex insulation in the bunk end window, and on the curtains.

I will definitely take pictures and share my whole experience!

4. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I’m not a sewer so I used jersey crib sheets to cover my cushions. The Pak n Play sets are a great fit.

Happycamper88 likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

As far as what to cover your cushions with, this will be a personal preference and your family. For me, I have dogs and a kid who camps with me so I wanted something durable and somewhat water resistant/proof. I'm also looking at making a slip cover so I can easily take it off to wash if I have to as well. If your family is not as hard on cushions as mine you can just make a permanent cover with just about any fabric. Although if you have cushions that may be used a lot you may want something like upholstery fabric or something a little heavier. I personally may cheat and use a heavy duty shower curtain to save money. Hopefully it could last under my family's abuse. My curtains I just used blackout curtains from Walmart trimmed to fit. Worked great and the blackout feature is nice in keeping it warmer/cooler, but love your idea if actually attaching the solar material to the curtains. Just not sure how the material will be if you sow through it.

6. DeeLella87

DeeLella87 New Member

We have 3 kids (9,7,4) but theyre outside the camper so much they really don't come inside, unless to get a snack or to change. But I will try to find a more durable type, and one that I could take off and wash if necessary.
    I was just talking to my husband last night about using the reflectix on the curtains, and we decided not to do it. (as of right now) but I will look into the black out curtains. Those seem like a great idea!

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

When I got both my clipper and FnR, the cushions were in good shape so I couldn't justify spending money recovering them. But, I really wanted a different color for the material. So, I use throw blankets and cover the cushions with those. Easy to just pull off for washing or changing out, but by tucking them under and between, etc., they stay in place well. Lots of fabric choices for throw blankets out there and plenty of price range.

For curtains, there are different choices depending on what you want. For my clipper, the original were fabric roller blinds. I really liked those but the Herculon fabric was disintigrating with every touch. So I just bought new fabric for the rollers.

For the FnR, the curtains were attached using sew on C tabs. Since the windows were smaller (but a lot of them), I bought cloth napkins in a fabric I liked and hand sewed the C tabs on them. No hemming or anything necessary. Folded the top over a bit if the napkin was too long for that window or turned them sideways - the pattern was a vine look, so turning them in different directions wasn't obvious.

A friend ended up buying blackout fabric, cutting it to fit her windows and attaching them with velcro. She just pulls them off during the day, and sticks them up at night. So, lots of options out there to match your sewing skills and desires.

I've never bothered painting the "wood" cabinets but I did change out the drawer pulls in the FnR. Just that made a huge difference (went from brass to pewter) in the final feel of the space.

8. DeeLella87

DeeLella87 New Member

Wow! I never thought of just covering the cushions like that! Definitely going to do that if my covers don't come out well.

I have a question for you about the drawer pulls. In my pop up, all the doors and drawers have a locking type mechanism attached to it. I have to push a little button in order to open them. When you changed yours did you add some sort of locking mechanism for when you travel? I want to change the hardware but Im stuck as to how to make sure they stay closed when the pop up is moving.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

On my FnR, the pulls were just standard cupboard pulls. There is a separate catch mechanism inside the cupboards to keep them closed. You should be able to add those catches - either the magnetic or the roller style easily enough I suspect. You could also use child safety catches. Then you could change out to any pulls.

Do a search on amazon for cupboard catch and you'll see the various styles - then you can find the style that will work best for you.

10. Sjm9911

You could also paint the old ones.

11. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

I know everyone is doing it, but I would really shy away from painting your cabinets. Especially painting them white. It's one thing to paint wood cabinets in a kitchen where they only get looked at and opened by the handles; but cabinets in a popup are meant to be kicked and climbed over. Also, as you mentioned before, they are not wood, but wallpaper covered wood. The cabinet doors and drawer fronts are made from MDF and covered with a wood grain paper. The cabinets themselves are plywood covered with wall paper. Yes you can paint it, but there really isn't a good way to do it. The best you can hope for is that you get good adhesion to the wallpaper. As for the counter-tops, most are MDF covered with Melamine. Getting something to adhere to a material that was designed for that opposite of that purpose would be hard at best. My fear is that you would go through all this work and the paint would scuff and scratch with normal wear and tear. Now if you plan on replacing the cabinets and counter-tops, that's a different story. Then I would use a whitewash stain with a semigloss polyurethane coating and those cabinets will last longer than the camper. As for counter-tops, I've always been partial to butcher block, but there are some hard drying epoxy coatings that can get pretty close to the look of marble/granite counter-tops. I hope I didn't burst your bubble. Good luck.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

IMG_20161112_112916361-738x1312.jpg

This is what I have on my current camper. The lock I think is called a thumb turn cam lock or something like that. My problem is I have to remember to lock it before before transit. Which I almost never do. :oops:

13. Sjm9911

The paint will be fine, as i said not as durable. When i moved into my new house 2 years ago i painted a similarly cheap cabinate. It still looks good and gets daily where and tear from the kido. I used bonding primer, stuff that adhears to anything, and reguler paint. This paint isnt as good as the special cabinate paint. The idea was to replace the cabinaite, but alas there is no need.

Flipped in NH likes this.
  14. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I made new curtains for my old PUP using some blackout curtain panels. I was able to remove the mounting tabs from the old curtains and sew them on the new ones. It's a Jayco, so they use this type:

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-...+curtain+tabs&qid=1553265696&s=gateway&sr=8-1

For my NTU PUP, I also want a cosmetic upgrade! But DH says he really likes the green color scheme. So our compromise is that I'm going to leave the solid mossy green curtain panels and make a new valance in a coordinating color, but more modern fabric.

For cold weather camping, I really like using the anti-fatigue foam tiles under the mattresses. It adds both insulation and more comfort to the beds. Like these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

15. DeeLella87

DeeLella87 New Member

Thank you everyone so much for all the replies. No bubbles were burst if this turns out being a waste of time and money. My husband and I (and even my kids) are all having a lot of fun designing and planning the makeover. We arent truly in the popup except to sleep, and to run in to grab food, so i dont think they'll really be banged up. But if they are they will have a memory to go with them.
    Ive been looking on amazon and google and have found a few different locking mechanisms we could use to keep the drawers closed during transit. I havent gotten to the purchase point yet, but that will happen before i know it.

Camper Chrissy, were you able to leave the foam tiles under the mattress and close it up no problem? Did it make a noticeable difference in the bed?? Hubby wants to make the beds more comfortable. I think they're pretty comfy as is considering we just sleep on them for the weekends.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Yes, they stay in all the time. Of course it depends on how much extra space you have in yours. My old PUP had very little extra space and I was still able to fit two layers under the mattress.

Makes a huge difference! I'm a side-sleeper and I was finding that during the night my hip bone was just digging through the mattress. The foam tiles really made it tolerable for me. And they help keep you warm too. I got mine at Harbor Freight and they were way cheaper than any other place I found them. They have them on sale even cheaper sometimes so keep an eye on their ad.

17. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Check out thepopupprincess.com. She has a tutorial on painting your popup cabinets. Good luck with your makeover and don't forget the pictures!

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I recently read that king size pillow cases fit nicely over dinette bench seats. I haven't tried it, as I am moving to vinyl for ours, but sure sounded like a great idea!