Upgrade to hybrid popout?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by modeler, Oct 16, 2021.

1. modeler

modeler New Member

I am thinking to upgrade to a popout until my popup is still alive.
    The primary reason:1, popup takes so much time and effort to raise and pull out, popout would be much easier to set up that eventually allow roadside use (travel long distance).
    2, I believe the winfletree and cable system will be dead long before frame and everything else break, and it is difficult to fix than a leaking roof.

My question:
    1, how bad is the wind sway on the highway? my ride is jeep wrangler, so at the margin of 3500lb tow rate.
    2, is popout much better in winter? eventually, allow us 8month camping in Ontario?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I will go out on a limb, and say ots too much for a wrangler. The wrangler ( depending on year) isnt an optimal tv. They sway by themselves, lol , yes i had a 2016 wrangler jku. Narrow wheel base and top heavy. But if looking at something that would have you upgrade the tv, look to fully enclosed for longest camping season and ease of set up. I have an expandable, not sure if they make them anymore. Good luck.

DiamondGirl and wusthof like this.
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Good luck finding a hybrid within your weight limits.

wusthof and myride like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

There is a clipper 9.0 or something like that that may work for you if it's only just you and a significant other. Perhaps something called a cricket camper also may work otherwise all hybrids are going to be above your weight limit. Heck I have a 4 runner with a 5000 tow limit and I wouldn't dare go above 3500 with it. It struggles with my 3500 popup. Not to mention it can be downright scary when the wind plays with the camper at that weight if your car doesn't have the weight behind it it could take you for a ride with it. Just go on YouTube and see what can happen if wind decides to play while you drive.

myride likes this.
  5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

It would probably extend your camping season by a lot--especially if you get one that allows you to sleep without extending the beds if the weather is really bad.

The Jeep will hold you back, though.

6. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I just moved up to a hybrid from my UTAH. I haul it with a Dakota V8/5-speed manual, ext cab. I feel stiff crosswinds and headwinds with my setup...can't imagine a wrangler able to do it.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Lots of people in Ontario camp 8 months or more in their popups..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. modeler

modeler New Member

9. modeler

modeler New Member

I don't know you but I tow a Cheyenne for good 5 trips so far. I can't say I didn't feel it, but as long as I don't sway it on highway, it won't sway itself — I did try to see how it respond to harsh steer, no I hate extra oscillation.
    So I don't know another 1000lb with some anti sway hitch would work.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. The biggest problem is the hitch weight. The max hitch weight on your wrangler is probably 350. If the hitch weight they advertise is dry you would have to account for weight of propane and maybe battery. Also look at your payload on your wrangler. Adding the weight of your gear and any passengers do you have enough payload for a loaded hitch weight of that much? I wonder if a seller would be willing to weight the setup for you so you can use actual weights and not the numbers they put in the pamphlet. I found the weights on the camper sticker and the pamphlet are always low and not the actual weight of the camper as ready to roll off the lot.

myride likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If you Google "towing calculator " you should be able to find the exel spreadsheet for figuring out what you can actually tow, based on info you imput.. input more info and you get very accurate numbers ..

12. myride

Well the Cheyenne is close to 500 lbs lighter than my Utah...saying that I never felt it behind my Dakota, no sway at all. The ck19 however with a WDH is affected by just the sheer size of pulling it down the highway. There's a huge amount of mass in comparison to the two trailers. Think of pushing a barn door at highway speed.
    I'm not saying you can't...but with the weight and wheelbase of the Wrangler it very well could become a case of the "tail wagging the dog" VERY quickly.

13. modeler

modeler New Member

so far I have seen very different opinion and result:

Wrangler Tows a Rockwood Geo Pro Camper Trailer - YouTube
    This guy tow a way big trailer with Wrangler 4xe, judge by the look 19' travel trailer.

This guy tow a sub-3000lb trailer with ease but seems very confident.
    He mention the jeep is rated 5000lb in Europe, means it is mechanically fitfor that load. And in N/A, testing requirement demand certain speed and condition make the rating lower - I read similar things too, I guess it is all about safety margin and reserve, you just have to be careful when you have less reserve in safety.
    Your #1 Question - How well does the Jeep tow the Rpod? - YouTube

And this short base 2dr wrangler show you how not to tow with short base vehicle.
    Caught on Dash Cam - Jeep Wrangler Pulling Trailer Wrecks - YouTube

I guess I will stick to my popup now for a while until later time get a light hybrid, stay sub 3000.
    Maybe by the time I am ready to upgrade to gladiator, then tow prom is gone. Maybe not, I can't imagine I drive a pickup truck daily.
    For same money I can get grand cherokee for better tow, but no, don't want sit in another fat boring suv, have to stick to my wrangler and stay popup now. LOL.
    Thank you all for the good advice.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    wusthof likes this.
  14. Scotgrob

Scotgrob New Member

With a travel trailer (OR a popout), it's not just the weight you have to consider: They stand taller when trailering than a popup. The taller they stand, the more wind they catch. That said, you can still tow a popout, BUT you aren't going to be pulling it 80mph down the highway. Figure on taking longer to get to your destination, and keep it under 60. I don't have experience pulling a popout OR a travel trailer, this is just some quick thinking on towing in general. My jeep liberty was rated to 5000, but I noticed my bayside. Still pulled it at 70-75, but when the wind was blowing hard, I would use AWD and it helped.

myride likes this.
  15. myride

I think that's your wisest decision. The difference between "can/able" to tow it and "safely" tow it are different ends of the spectrum.

Taxus812 likes this.
  16. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

yeah I can pull 12,000lbs in my truck (5.7L V8, 3.92 rear end, oil cooler, Brake controller and big brakes) but it’s not recommended I pull more than 6800lb travel trailer with it. The TV weight and wheelbase all come into play.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    myride, Snow and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sj flagstaff

Sj flagstaff Member

I have a Jeep Wrangler rubicon with the bigger brakes and I wouldn’t tow anything over 2500 lbs with it. Jeeps have a lot of torque and could pull it no problem but between there weight and wheel base you just can’t control what your towing effectively.

Sjm9911 and myride like this.
  18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Can and should aren't the same thing. Our HTT has a gross weight of 3627 lbs and a payload of 848 lbs. That leaves an empty weight of 2779 lbs. There's probably lighter available out there, but the weight isn't necessarily your biggest problem. The added frontal area is a killer at freeway speeds, and cross winds are no picnic either when maxing out your tow vehicle. I'm not saying do or don't, just that you should be aware of what you should expect. My TV can handle more than double the load and we have a minivan that is barely capable of towing it. In a pinch I would tow it a short distance with it, but nothing high speed, long distance, or in the mountains.

myride likes this.
  19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

That's nearly identical to our Viking. As I stated the wind drag is a killer. Maybe see if someone has something similar on RV Share and try it? I think you will find that it's a lot different than a PUP. I've pulled loaded car trailers weighing more than this camper that didn't cause the truck to work this hard.

Sjm9911 likes this.