upper door issue

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by nexus, Feb 4, 2015.

1. nexus

nexus New Member

Hi all. So, I had an issue with my pup this past summer. I am talking about the upper door section where it hinges to the roof for closing down - not referring to regular door hinges for going in and out.

Now, when I fold up my camper, where the door attaches to the hinge and plate near the ceiling (to secure door for travel) it keeps popping out of the rib that it snaps into.

The top of the door has a groove. The part attached to the trailer has a rib attached to an aluminum plate with hinges allowing it to hinge and attach to the ceiling. I put the rib into the groove and secured my upper door to the lower section and during normal use of in and out of the trailer it is fine. But when closing up, the son of bitch keeps popping off and I have to lay the door down in the camper instead of up on the ceiling. its becoming a pain to re-secure the door every time we open the trailer. Anyone have any ideas on why it might be doing this? maybe the groove has opened too much?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with the type of door you are describing, but it does sound like there is an issue of wear someplace.

However, it will help everyone else if you add the make, model and year of your pup to your signature line. We don't have to ask and you don't have to re-type. That way, people know the pup you're talking about, and may have encountered the same issue in the past.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

A better roof clamp ..... bungee cord ......... door/cabinet latch.

4. nexus

nexus New Member

I have a 1998 Coleman Viking 16 foot box with double King bunk ends.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Our 2000 Coleman has two short cables that ride in a track (it is a one piece screen door) and also 2 web straps with snaps to hold it closer to the roof. Do you have a photo of your setup? Also does the roof have a lot of sway to it, but that shouldn't make and difference when it closed and latched.
    Also there is no such as a Coleman Viking.......... could it be something else?

6. nexus

nexus New Member

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sorry I can't help you. Also the link you supplied says manufactured by Viking

8. R00

R00 Active Member

But Tom Raper says it's a Coleman! ;-)

9. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Not that this side discussion helps the OP question, but here's a video of the camper someone called a 1995 Coleman Viking SP270.

At 21 seconds, you can plainly see that the manufacturer is Viking Recreational Vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1sFMG8hguo

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Whether it is a Viking or Coleman, as well as the year, does help answer the OP's inquiry/problem. Not all manufacturers use the same attachment system for doors, as with lots of parts of pups, and things may change from time to time. I can't help from our own experience, the '84 Palomino we had was one of those pups with a removable top half to the door, removed completely when the pup was folded. The '10 Cobalt has the full door (also a safety measure for roof collapse) that has turn knobs that secure the top plate by snugging it from a slot. The door has no hinge, again it completely detaches, not counting the wires that slide on a runner to guide it into travel placement.
    I assume someone with a similar pup to the OP can help them with the problem.

11. nexus

nexus New Member

I see that it says Viking. So does mine, but the ownership says Coleman Viking 270SD

Inside on the panel it says Manufacturer is Viking rec, but said its made for Coleman USA. When I called Coleman about this, they said it was a Coleman brand - Viking model. So to put that to rest, there is such thing as a Coleman Viking.

Either way, I am simply looking for help on doors that have this similar set up. My old starcraft had same set up, but because is worked perfectly, I never paid attention to it.