USB charger and volt meter

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by generok, May 5, 2019.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I got this little dual USB charger and volt meter from Amazon and installed it on the nightstand next to the bed. The voltage agreed with my multimeter so I guess it is accurate. Now we can charge phones even on the battery all night.

The only problem is that it is REALLY BRIGHT! As soon as we turned off the lights last night it lit up the room blue. I'll have to find some panel tape or something. But I do like a built in USB charger that doesn't depend on shore power.

2. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

I have a similar issue with mine as well. The voltage read out isn't too bad. I have a power switch wired in to shut it off when not in use....that however could land a plane. I will be replacing it with a non lighted switch.

20190430_220442_resized_1.jpg

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Put a piece of black electrical tape over it at night. That will block the light. That’s a temporary fix though. For a permanent fix I would add momentary on/off switch. Then you can press the button and see the voltage but it is off when you aren’t need it it. This will save your battery when boondocking.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I ran into same problem here in my Radio/Computer room. I added a nice riser section on my desktop to use a couple of those PHILLIPS 24-inch Smart HDTV sets as computer monitors. I added a couple of those BLACKWEB 6-PORT USB WALL CHARGERS (WALMART) inside the bottom area of the 5-inch riser tops. They all have little BLUE LIGHTS inside the USB ports showing it is on. They light up the room here when I turn out the lights big time as well haha... Makes for a great nite light I reckon...

This plugs into 120VAC - Most useful to have around... seems like everything now days are using the USB port connector.
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Like we did as kids with the check engine light , lol.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Exactly. Though I did it to an anti lock brake light on a 91 explorer...

7. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

TPS light....currently [::)]

8. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Choose red over blue every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

As a kid, my aunts VCR. She was the only person that no matter where she lived she had power outages constantly. That little green LED clock light on a VCR is VERY bright in a pitch black room, especially when it's flashing. I would usually shove the remote under the cover over the VCR at some point.