USB charging port added

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by CampingFamily1, May 15, 2019.

1. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Added a USB charging port below my electrical outlet. Got it on Amazon.com

1. Magnadyne Black Wall Mount 2 USB Charging Ports and 12V Power Outlet
    2. Leviton 80401-NE 1-Gang Decora/GFCI Device Wallplate, Standard Size, Thermoplastic Nylon, Device Mount, Black
    3. MonkeyJack Cigarette Lighter Universal Waterproof Plug AP208 Dust Cover Cap Socket Car
    4. LIHAN Dual USB Car Charger,LED Display Voltage
    5. Electrical outlet box from Home Depot (1-Gang Old Work PVC Electrical Box with Clamp)

Measured carefully, sawed a hole in the exact spot needed to line up with the electrical outlet above, and sawed a hole with my Dremel Multimax tool. I spliced the wires into the wires that feed the water pump. The water pump voltage is shut off when the galley is put down, so I know I won't have any electricity flowing to the outlet when popped down.

I had to add a layer of electrical tape around the Plug/Dust Cover over the cigarette lighter to make it fit snugly. I also bought a Plug in USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket that reads out the voltage of my battery, and provides 2 more USB charging outlets. Being able to see the voltage of my batteries is very handy. I use the simple black Plug/Cap when popped down and travelling because it's more durable if it gets kicked while packing up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Looks good!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It does look good!

4. CampingFamily1

Thanks! We love it to charge phones, keep the Bose speaker charged, and the cigarrette lighter outlet powers the simple 8" DVD player on rainy days

5. deco-one

deco-one New Member

Looks very nice!

6. CampingFamily1

I added a layer of red electrical tape on the cigarette lighter socket plug, so it would fit snug, not loose
    [​IMG]

Here are photos with the Digital Voltmeter in the cigarette lighter socket
    (Check out the daddy long leg spider blending into the background of the outlet!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All parts used on this mod are listed in the first post of the thread

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

It does look good.... Being a Ham radio station I added a Power Station on both ends of my OFF-ROAD Trailer...

My main one has a built-in Dc VOLTMETER but what you did is just as good... Being off-grid all the time I really have to watch my 12VDC levels really close... Never want it drop below 12.0VDC which is somewhere near the 50% charge level for me...

I also included a ON-OFF switch in both Power Stations... Turns out the DC VOLTMETER is way to bright to leave on inside the trailer haha...

here is a my StarCraft RT14 floor plan showing where a lot of my stuff is located...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

This is what my two Charge station panels look like - All purchased from AMAZON

[​IMG]
    Google image

[​IMG]
    Google image

Those round modules can be rotated allowing you to mount the panels either Horizontal or Vertical... Pretty neat...

I have a lot of 12VDC needs so I installed one of these 12VDC Sub Stations and run what is called BOAT CABLE with is 14GA two wire cable... I would rather have the individual fuse protection verses tapping into another 12VDC circuit somewhere... I am also running a pretty big Battery Bank... I have two groups of 6VDC GC2 Batteries now verses the two 12V Batteries you see in the drawing above...
    [​IMG]
    google image

Great job on your install... Looks very professional indeed...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

MikeRule and kmbarreiros like this.
  8. CampingFamily1

Thanks! Your system looks great! Can we see a photo of it installed next time you are in your camper?
    Must be nice to have an inverter in the camper while dry camping.

9. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

A dedicated USB charging point is definitely on my want-list. Now we end up tying up one or more of the outlets just to keep phones etc charged up. Would be great to have those available for other items.

10. CampingFamily1

My USB charging outlet is wired to the 12V system so we can use it dry camping. Something to consider.

11. CampingFamily1

We got a lot of use out of our USB charging outlet this past camping trip. We had an electric site which is rare for us since we like wooded sites. Both 120V electric and 12V battery power was charging phones.

It's also interesting to watch the 12V battery voltage drop temporarily when a load is placed on the battery, when ceiling lights or the water pump is used.

[​IMG]

12. Vegas_PUPpers

Vegas_PUPpers New Member

Solid! I'm an electrical novice, starting to map out my dream projects. Since you didn't mention an inverter, am I correct that your water-pump splice location is only powering the USBs on shore power?

Our family isn't super electronics-dependent, but we might conceivably go dry for a few days, and I'm thinking I'm eventually headed down Inverter Ave.... ;)

But the way you've done this outlet set is definitely what I'm going to work off of!

13. CampingFamily1

I'm only powering the 12V USB charger/cigarette lighter outlet, and spliced into the hot water heater wire with two Screw/Twist On Cap Connectors, and wire that was the same gauge as in the camper.