Used Fleetwood Bayside? Should I look?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by raising4daughters, Sep 1, 2019.

1. raising4daughters

raising4daughters New Member

Saw a 2008 Fleetwood Bayside come up on CL about 10 miles from my house. We've pretty much settled on a new Flagstaff 823D (even after toying with the idea of a HW), but the thought of saving $8-$10k made me think about this used unit.

I have two worries: (1) I've read many reports on other forums about problems with Coleman and Fleetwood models' ABS roofs; and (2) repair parts availability since Fleetwood is no longer making PUPs.

Big enough concerns to look elsewhere?

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The Fleetwood ABS Strata roof was last used on 2002 models.

You'd be buying an orphan so replacement parts can be an issue. Some parts are still available from colemanpopupparts.com On the upside there's plenty of documentation available online for these campers.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have the sister unit to the Bayside and I love it. It's perfect for me and my family. Grant you all repairs are on me as none of the RV shops are willing to work on it. Thankfully for me I'm only three hours from the place that has the parts so that's a plus. I also found the walls are a tad higher than my old popup but do have less inside storage which is a bummer but having the slide out is such a huge plus. Having the front trunk is a help as well. I say it's worth a look see, but if you really have your heart set on the HW than maybe just hold off.

raising4daughters likes this.
  4. raising4daughters

raising4daughters New Member

Thanks. Good feedback on the Bayside. I'm average, at best, with repairs and not confident enough to be as self-reliant as you. Think I'm going to pass.

On Saturday, we went to a local dealer and looked at a new 2019 12' box with front storage, slideout dinette, no toilet/shower and compared it with a 2016 14' HW. They are the same price. Oddly enough, we like the 12' low-profile better and are pretty much off the HW idea although my wife is waffling because of the ability to connect to a full hook-up. That said, we thought the advantages of the HW aren't that important to us because of how and where we camp and because we're short. State parks generally don't offer full hook-up, so no advantage there. We actually see more storage space in the Flagstaff 823D 12'er, and that's what prompted me to possibly look at the Bayside.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Are you sure you don't want the toilet? A portapotty is fine, but what a cassette toilet offers is a bit of privacy while using it. You can also keep the trash can in the "bathroom"; note how there's no place for trash in any of these.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Back 100 yrs ago we custom ordered our 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe because we wanted one equipped with a water heater which none of the dealer's lot models had. If I'd been smart enough at the time I would have also ordered it with the optional cassette toilet but because I didn't I later modified the potti cabinet to hold a Thetford 585 electric flush porta potti. It worked well and was especially handy because our boys were young at the time but in hindsight I should have ordered the camper with the optional cassette toilet.

7. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

We have a 2008 Bayside and simply love it. Yes, you do have to do any repairs yourself but the usual odds and ends, like replacing water lines or the pump are easy. OK not easy, but not difficult and parts can be had at the big box or local hardware store. Assume you'll have to replace the A/C gasket, if the unit has A/C, and tires. Maintenance is the biggest thing. If it hasn't bee well cared for that will be a lot of elbow grease, and real grease too! But a well cared for unit will see you to retirement. (We bought ours in early '10, used, and will be camping in it for several more years. I'm 65, so it's doable)