Using Baby Wipes...

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by skiball, Jan 23, 2014.

1. skiball

skiball New Member

On another thread, the question was about using the shower and other amenities in your pup. Someone brought up using baby wipes between showers. I didn't want to hijack the thread by asking my question, so I started a new one.
    Using baby wipes sounds like a good idea, and I have thought about doing it many times. What keeps us from using them is that they might attract mosquitoes or those pesky little nats. That's my question. Will baby wipes attract flying insects. There are usually enough of them as it is. We don't want any more.

2. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Even though our kids are almost 7 and 9, I still use baby wipes for them and in general use. The kids don't generally shower when we camp, as we're in the lake so much anyhow, and we haven't gone over a 4 night trip so far...(I think I did in fact shower them on the longest trip)....but they do still get dirty feet in their crocs traipsing back to camp and so forth.

We buy the Costco brand Kirkland baby wipes....I believe they are unscented. They work great, and I don't find they attract mosquito's or any other bug at all. They are great value for the money too!

Hope this helps!

Melissa

3. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] x2

4. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

We buy an unscented bathing wipe. The towelette is bigger and you can find it at major pharmacies. It's used for washing up bed ridden people.

5. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

As an infantryman in iraq, baby wipes were a huge staple. General Patreus and all his wisdom decided infantry should live amongst the people. So we would take over a few homes and build a wall, stay there for a while and move on. This was a situation where 99% of soldiers lived on the FOB and had access to food, showers, toilets, etc. We, who own the night, did not however. Months would go by with no access to running water, electricity, toilets (aside from an outhouse with buckets that had to be burned weekly). Hence where baby wipes come into this story. Many times baby wipes were the only bath you would get for 4-6 months. Occassionally someone would mail you a bar of soap and you could find a private corner and a few bottles of water to take something similar to a shower, but majority was a stack of baby wipes. Just don't flush them unless they're "flushable" on the package.

Definitely don't but them down a black water tank. Cassettes I can imagine would be okay.

6. pckeen

pckeen New Member

We have young kids - use them all the time - but like the others, we use unscented ones. They have never attracted bugs.

7. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

Wow, Skeeter. Again, thank you for your service. If I had known you I would have sent you soap! I sent my brother many, many care packages (some he never received) and I push big in girl scouts to get donations to the troops.

Edited: sorry if I hijacked. We use baby wipes also (unscented with aloe). No bug problems down here in south Texas which is quite an issue in warm months...lol um, 11 of 12!

8. shfd739

shfd739 Member

We use the baby wipes too. Unscented and we've had No problems with bugs.

Since we have a hot water heater usually we do a sink bath using the Wilderness Wash. It's environmentally safe to dispose on the ground and works really well. One sink of soap/water is enough for us both to clean up.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Music fest weeks with limited shower access, my nurse friend brings some sort of bath wipes, they work well. Never tried the rinse free shampoo that is also brought along.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have used unscented baby wipes for years. As ground campers, our longest trip w/o access to showers was two weeks. I can wash my hair in the basin, though often opt to just rinse it to remove the salt.
    Having the pup gives us the option of doing a basin bath, though often the baby wipes are a main method of cleaning up. We even keep them in the car at all times - great for cleaning hands after pumping gas and the like.
    We usually use regular cleanser, since we generally have access to some sort of campground plumbing to dispose of the water. Most of the camp washes eat my skin in no time flat, I have found just one (Turtle wash?) in all that I've tried over the years that I could tolerate.
    I tried disposable adult washcloths a couple of years ago. They were larger than the baby wipes, but they were definitely not unscented - don't know if the bugs would be attracted to them, but it was a horrible smell to me.
    I have tried some of the rinse-free products, but I hated them. I'd rather wipe off with plain water, I feel cleaner with that than the no-rinse stuff.

ETA: We have found that baby wipes are the most effective thing to remove insect repellant and sunscreen while camping.

11. skiball

skiball New Member

Skeeter, Thank You for your service.
    Having been in the Infantry myself is mainly the reason I asked about attracking bugs. I remember that the bug juice they would issue to us would bring in more bugs that it would drive them away. It also seemed that I would always find myself in an area with tics and chiggers. I guess they really liked me. But that's life as a grunt I guess.

12. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Skiball, I never attracted bugs. But if you recall, eat a few match heads and that's the best bug spray I've found yet. Strike anywhere works best for some reason. 3-5 will do the trick.

Thanks for your service as well. You were a ground pounder. Dont sweat the small stuff, just tell the wife it'll be okay and slip a few crushed up match heads into her drink and she'll be none the wiser.

13. matwiyj

matwiyj Active Member

My kids are 10 and 13 and I still buy them (unscented) by the caseload. I love them and have never noticed extra mosquitoes.

14. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Ditto to Skeeter!

And good to know as we live in South Texas too and haven't had a chance to use our NTU pup.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have used baby wipes for years and never had a problem with insects.

16. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

We've used baby wipes for years - decades, even. We started when we began tent-camping in the early 1990s. We buy the Kirkland brand from Costco and only have to replenish our supply once a year or so.

We've never had a problem with insects being attracted to us after we use a wipe.

17. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Being an EX long distance Trucker, I know...... "Baby wipes can be your friend"!!!

Nuff said [8D]

18. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I hunt Ossabaw Island every couple of years and until they had hot water, baby wipes were our only way to clean up. We'd use anything we had, but we prefer the unscented so we don't spook the deer or hogs. Ossabaw is an insect HAVEN, so if baby wipes attract bugs, I never noticed it.

I wouldn't recommend flushing them or even throwing them away; we always toss them in the fire. [CP] Baby wipes are a great way to clean up when a shower isn't an option. Shoot, I'd say baby wipes have ousted chrome bumpers and sliced bread as the most recent best thing!!

19. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

When I ran a Boy Scout Sea Base the baby wipes saved our feet before getting into bed. I never recall a mosquito problem from the baby wipes.

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Glad to hear that we are not the only ones who use baby wipes. I have allergies to certain scents, so I always buy the unscented. I never thought about them attracting bugs/mosquitos, but I don't think they do.