Using butcher block to replace all the counter tops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by shaxs, Mar 17, 2018.

1. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I have an beautiful Boos counter top piece due to an Amazon screw up. It was originally intended for my kitchen but Amazon sent me two and I didnt need it for the kitchen. Here is what it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051HF5S4/

I was thinking I could find someone with a band saw to split the board in two from 1.5" thick to 3/4" thick. My counter tops in the PuP are 3/4" thick. Looking at my measurements, I should be able to get all my surfaces out of two pieces if I can get it split.

Any thoughts on if this is a good or bad idea?

jnc likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

That would take a BIG band saw with a very good guide.

3. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I know. Maybe a cabinet maker?

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Sounds heavy

Fless likes this.
  5. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

True. It's about 55 lbs for the complete top. If I did this, I wouldn't use the whole thing.

6. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I went out to the pop up today and measured the height space between the current counter and the beds when closed in. Looks like there is 2" space so a standard countertop should work.

7. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

I have a hobby woodworking business and I have never seen a band-saw capable of a 25" cut, it would be monstrous. Mine has about a 12" cut and this is pretty much industry standard.

If serious about cutting it in half, could try finding someone with a log mill, those are made for cutting logs into boards and are typically 36"-48" width horizontal band-saws, but the blades are thicker and will not result in a smooth cut, planing and sanding will be required to clean up the cut sides.

It does not appear to be end-grain so another option is to have it surface planed to thickness but half your board would become sawdust, look for any hardwood suppliers or millworks places for this option and find someone with a wide planer. Cannot surface plane an end-grain block, end grain does not react well to planers.

A third option would be to cut the block into sections ~8" each and that would be doable on a standard band-saw, then reglue it back together.

8. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

I've never tackled a piece 25" wide but I've had good luck splitting boards with my table saw. I run it through the saw on edge with the blade cutting dead center, flip the board over and then do it again. Then I use an old fashioned hand saw to cut the rib that remains in the center.
    Lastly I run it though my planner to remove that center rib "bump" and make it all smooth.
    Since I have no band saw I'd cut the table into two 12½" wide boards, then run it through my table saw and planner as described above, before finally gluing the two 12½" boards back together.
    Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through though!

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

mistaken post

10. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I dont want to take a planer to it. At this point Im going to buy a cheaper butcher block from Ikea maybe and use those.

11. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

To save weight you could use 1/2 plywood with butcher block Formica laminate.

12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Home Depot sells butcher block style planks, 3/4 inch thick, light weight softer wood. Ive used it in the past to make shelves for a wire bakers rack. With a good stain and a poly varnish finish it should be durable. My shelves have lasted about 15 years so far with just an oil stain.

13. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I saw that. So does Lumber Liquidators. But they are only 4" thick. I would have to use a jointer to make straight edges and glue some boards together. My widest section is 24" so I would need to glue and clamp 6. I dont have the tools currently....but I could get some and let the wife kill me :p

14. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Quick update. A local craftsman is custom building butcher block countertops for cheaper than buying Ikea tops would be. I'll post pictures once I have them!

jnc likes this.
  15. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Here is a look at the custom counter tops. I will need to seal them and install them at some point. I need to do all the cut outs too. These tops only have edges where necessary and are kept square where they slide into corners. I took pictures, took measurements, and then created a document for the wood worker. This helped them understand the requirements super easily. Tops are made out of alder wood which is nice since it is a sustainable species local to the PNW.

20180328_181007.jpg 20180328_181017.jpg Slide1.PNG Slide2.PNG Slide3.PNG Slide4.PNG

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I like it. It will be easy to clean them up after a few years of wear & tear a quick sanding than reseal.

17. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I am pretty excited about them. Was one of the easier options for trying to do countertops in the PuP.