using cruise control

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Caper, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Caper

Caper Member

Anyone for or against using cruise control when towing the pup?
    We just returned from a 1200 plus km round trip 1 week vacation and i used the cruise control constantly. when we got home, my folks stopped by and when i mentioned it to my dad he was a bit upset that i used it and when i asked why he didnt have any particular reason why (hes 76 years old so i just figured "old school" thinking). but then it made me wonder if i shouldn't use it.
    what are your opinions on the matter?

Doughboy43 likes this.
  2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

I use it on the highway. Then again I am way under my TV's limits. And I use the tow/haul mode.

KeizerTrailer, generok and Caper like this.
  3. the-one1

the-one1 Member

On the flat interstate through Nebraska and Kansas with light traffic, yes. Through the hilly terrain of Georgia, no.

4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I use it, but my pup is also way under my tow limits.

Mamalise, 1380ken and Caper like this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I use it to stay at 65. I'd be running 80 if I didn't.

BU77Ybee, vaderhater22, Alan and 8 others like this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I use it all the time on the highway when flat. If it is hilly and the transmission has to constantly downshift, then I just work the pedal.

Alan, Bultacobill, wusthof and 5 others like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use it only on the interstate and if there isn't a ton of cars near me. When I tow, I prefer to keep a much greater distance between me and the car in front of me so I have to constantly adjust my speed. Now if it was me and the open road with no big hills I'm using cruise control. As mentioned it help keep me within 60-65 mph. I live in an area there is always a ton of traffic on the interstate so most times I stay in control as I don't trust others. , If its windy i'm keeping control as well never know how the wind is going to effect the camper.

Caper likes this.
  8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I use it a lot when cruising on the highways. Especially when it's flat. You get better gas mileage that way. I usually set it between 65-70 MPH.

Alan, vaderhater22 and Caper like this.
  9. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I use it all the time when towing the TT. I may tap out of cruise if we're climbing a long hill and I want to knock down the RPMs some. It keeps me honest. Since my throttle is drive-by-wire anyway, there is effectively no difference between manual and cruise other than the processor determining what speed to try and maintain; carbon or silicon based. The silicon one is a little single-tracked and sometimes the carbon based processor kicks in automatically.

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Likely your Dad felt that you would not pay as close attention to things if you were using cruise control. And with a trailer in tow, you want to be very attentive to what's going around you.

There shouldn't be any mechanical/operational reason not to use cruise control while towing as long as it's not in hills. In hills it can force the engine/transmission to overwork.

Mamalise and Caper like this.
  11. Rocket Don

Rocket Don Member

My TV's owners manual says not to use CC when towing. It also says to not use the Overdrive gear. It does not have a dedicated Tow mode.

Rik Peery and Caper like this.
  12. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I'm surprised to see how many people do this. I was expecting to read a whole bunch of "never!"s and slink away without commenting, knowing I use ti all the time.

I use it all the time! (lol) If the transmission isn't overly shifting, why not?

13. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

I don’t see what it could hurt. I have heard many say you should not but then they can not say why. I myself have never been a cruise control person even when not towing I rarely use it. Like the OP said his father is probably just worried about him losing focus. Thats a Dads job to worry about their family thats what we do.

Caper likes this.
  14. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Never! Offering a contrary opinion, while being respectful of other opinions, is part of the larger body of information and how we all grow. I've been known to be contrary in my actions, AND, I have even CHANGED some of those actions based on the presentation of facts (greasing my trailer ball, as an example). So, don't slink away, bring it on! I'd love to hear when you have a differing opinion or practice!

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I use cruise more miles than not

Caper likes this.
  16. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I always use cruise control on flat terrain. But never in the mountains.

Caper likes this.
  17. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life Gold Supporting Member

Will use cruise when it’s flat and will also drop out of tow mode if up to speed and flat. Any time the speed drops below 65 I’ll go back into tow mode. The f150 percolates right along at 65 in od while towing. In carbon mode, I like that term, I’ll keep it at or under 65. I think the reason we need to go into tow mode is to keep the rpms up so the trans fluid is cycled through the trans fluid cooler faster. My theory is that once I’m up to speed on flat road, I’m safe to kick it into overdrive. Could be 180 out on this, but haven’t cooked the transmission yet.

Caper likes this.
  18. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with using cruise control as long as you aren't towing under a strain (i.e. steep grade, near tow capacity). The only thing cruise control does is to help keep your speed steady. You want to do this whether you use the cruise or not.

Your father may be confusing the highly recommended advice not to use the overdrive gearing while towing. Using overdrive while towing can be very hard on the transmission. Most of us that have a "Tow/Haul" option on our vehicles should know that this option essentially turns off the overdrive.

Caper likes this.
  19. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I always use cruise control on flat terrain - and have for the past 20+ years. I don't like to go faster than 60 when towing, so it keeps us steady. I am way under my tow capacity - less than 1/2.

Doughboy43 and Caper like this.
  20. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Tow/Haul does not turn off overdrive in my truck. My TT weighs about half what my truck is rated to pull. I dont use tow/haul when pulling it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Caper likes this.