using cruise control

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Caper, Jul 21, 2020.

1. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

I have used it on all my trucks in conjunction with tow haul, not an issue for the truck. I turn it off in traffic and on the hills. It keeps me honest. I set it between 65-68.

Caper likes this.
  2. Caper

Caper Member

Thanks Everyone
    I just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing something dangerous. Honestly while driving it was smooth and fuel consumption was great lol

Thanks again

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I think it depends? If you are tolling with a TV that has all types of surplus in it toll capability or on flatland, I would use Cruse. If the TV is doing much shifting or braking to keep the speed I would not use it.

Caper likes this.
  4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We run our cruise all the time, and we reside among the hills. At least while on roads with few towns. We might be loaded 2/3rds our towing capacity and with a 10 speed tranny, it shifts. It shifts so smoothly, we can hardly tell.

Caper likes this.
  5. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Well-Known Member

Yep, I have 3/4T Diesel pulling 7.5k TT and I use cruise control on flat ground and turn it off for hills/mountains.

Caper likes this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I pull about about a 7k TT. I leave cruise on in the hills and mountains, which is where I live and do most of my towing. The truck shifts when needed.

Caper and Ladiesman like this.
  7. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Mostly flat highways I’m using the cruise control, my Jeep has a setting for how close to follower and it automatically adjusts for a couple car lengths. Love that feature!

Caper and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I use cruise control on the highway. Even in the mountains when appropriate (something like an interstate pass and not a squirrely jumping-off road) with tow/haul mode. (It saves a lot of braking on the way down.)

My popup isn't pushing the tow capacity of my truck.

Caper likes this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I'd set the cruise to back in the driveway if I could.[:P]
    That said I'm less than half my TV's capabilities with PUP passengers and all the stuff everyone can't be without.

Caper likes this.
  10. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels New Member

I don’t own a pup anymore, I upgraded to a hybrid. I towed my pup and now my hybrid with cruise control all of the time on the time.

11. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I just returned from a 2,600 mile round trip adventure pulling from Louisiana to Colorado and back. I used cruise for 90% of the trip. In the mountains and very large hills in New Mexico I did not use cruise. For the rest of the flat drives, I used cruise. I do not see any problems with it.

12. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

I've always used the cruse control on highways. It makes things both safer and easier for me. My TV has a tow/haul/ mode which I use when towing and I also drive without over drive engaged. The tranny runs at between 180 and 195 degrees when I tow. I have a temp gauge on it. It also shifts less with the way it is set.

Caper likes this.
  13. Waitara

Waitara New Member

Even better - ADAPTIVE cruise control. Lock on to a big rig in front of you and enjoy the slipstream. Pick one that’s driving sensibly and slows down up hills to keep your tow vehicle from dropping two gears to keep up. This, combined with a good book-on-tape and the miles go quick and I arrive calm and refreshed. I wouldn’t buy a car without this feature.

14. Snowman

Snowman Member

I use it all the time. Driving across the plains of wyoming is flat and desolate. Helps me get to where I'm going with better gas mileage

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  15. Mejac02

Mejac02 New Member

I tow primarily in the northeast and we have a good mix of flat and hilly terrain. I pull my pup (1972 Apache Mesa) with my 2017 KIA Sportage. The tv is is a 2.4L (non-turbo) and seems to tow my tt rather well, just need to make sure the trany is not in eco or sport mode. I use cruise when I am on the flat stretches of the highway at around 65. I did notice that when in cruise, on a hill the rpms increased so I just flip over to carbon mode as many of you do and I am able to get better control. My tt is only around 1500 lbs loaded so it isn't too bad.
    By the way, I am fairly new to the forum and I can't tell you how informative and helpful all your posts have been. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Steveo4090 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  16. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

If the TV doesn't shift down, doesn't over rev and you are running flat ground, I see no reason to pass up some cruise control.

If I hear it even contemplate shifting, I'll drive- Thanks!

Toedtoes likes this.
  17. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

I definitely use Cruise Control. In fact, my Tundra has Adaptive Cruise Control that maintains a set distance from the vehicle in front of me, and applies the brakes if necessary. That being said, my 10' Pop-up is far, far below what my truck is capable of towing, so I have absolutely zero concerns.

I have towed up closer to the limit (dump trailer carrying a full load, close to 10 000lbs of trailer/load), and I certainly didn't feel comfortable using cruise control at all.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  18. TheWilsonFam

TheWilsonFam New Member

I use it exclusively on the highway when I tow. If I'm not towing, I find I rarely use it. I'm not sure why.

19. Alan

Alan Active Member

That's a big 10-4!

20. MikeRegas

MikeRegas Member

i have used it towing on flat highways, but as soon as the hills start I use the pedal. I don't go as slow but I don't burn as much gas with the TV always downshifting to keep speed.