using cruise control

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Caper, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I actually loved my old Dakota. Had it for 9 years and only got rid of it when the first kid came along in 2013 since there was no way a car seat was fitting in the tiny back seat of the extended cab.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I loved my Dakota also. If they would start making them again, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It was a great size truck. Wide enough to scrunch three people across a bench seat, but still narrow enough to fit in a tight parking lot.

Oh, my dad had the extended cab - I rode many a time in that back seat - sideways. But it was still better than riding in the back of a Mazda RX7... ;)

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Toyota warns against using cruise control on the Tacoma. Makes sense, pulling a popup is all they can handle in the mountains.

4. JaycoJay

JaycoJay New Member

I use cruise control all the time, anytime its convenient. Never put too much thought into it and never had any problems however, with your Dodge Caravan TV, I might not use it in hilly areas.

5. KeizerTrailer

KeizerTrailer Member

Here's the best rule of thumb with cruise control while towing: use it when it's generally flat with minimal traffic and the weather conditions aren't adverse.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I have to admit that I am pleased our Silverado copes with using cruise control for some towing. I towed the Retro for the first time in a year a couple of weeks ago, first long drive of any sort since I broke my ankle last year (right ankle, trashed foot anyway). Doing a long drive without cruise control would be very unpleasant with that foot and ankle.
    It works well, but as I said earlier, we do have to give it some help when a hill is coming up - it just doesn't know to anticipate the climb. I used it on the interstate and well as the long stretches on open roads (remember, I live in the wide open spaces). Most of the time, my foot is almost on the gas pedal, it's comfortable there, and I can take control easily. The modern cruise control is so much easier to turn off/on/adjust than ones we had on older vehicles.

SteveP likes this.
  7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have never used it in my life....If you want my reasons....I don't have any..Lol.

8. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I am towing with a 2010 Ford Ranger 4X4. It has the 4.0 engine. My camper only weighs about 2000 lbs. I also put a Honda Quad in the back that weighs about 400 lbs. I can use the cruise control on flat land as long as there is no strong head winds or hills. When I see a hill coming up, I turn it off. I don't even turn it on in winds