Using Power Drill for Lift Mechanism

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Coulter Wood, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Jeri Sullivan

Jeri Sullivan 2006 Rockwood Freedom Gold Supporting Member

I took it to the RV repair. They checked out the lift system and lubed everything and still their drill would not raise it. I got it to raise a little bit with my drill once but that was all.

Coulter Wood likes this.
  2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Odd! Could I ask what type of drill you were using? 1/2 inch or 3/8th. High/Low speed. Voltage? I just don't understand why it would not work. Are you going through a power winch?

3. Jeri Sullivan

1/2 inch dewault
    On low speed
    20 v max
    We have tried all kinds of drills.
    Nothing raises it

I have a 2006 Rockwood Freedom TT.

4. Grandpa Don

Wow! I believe you, but it is sure odd. There are many people on this forum that use the drill method. I just don't understand what is different about yours. Oh well!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey New Member

I use a Bosch hammer drill (hammer mode OFF) for my big Fleetwood Arcadia, with Air Conditioner, , two awnings, and two (empty) Cargo boxes
    Eric Webber, we have a 1995 Fleetwood Arcadia as well. With no A/C and only one awning, I just hand crank it with no issues (other than avoiding a pinch at the back of the handle). Where do the cargo boxes go/attach?

Coulter Wood likes this.
  6. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Are you sure you don't have a 500# Gorilla sitting on your roof!:rolleyes:

7. Grandpa Don

How difficult is it to raise manually with the crank?

8. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

My back has been killing me lately. This last trip (last week) had me cranking in the sun and thinking about these posts. I was singing to myself ... "Cranking The Pup in the Hot Sun, I fought the Pup and the Pup won" LOL. Anyway, came home and popped up again to let it dry out since we closed up with it damp after a heavy rain in the evening. More thinking. Read the posts about the Socket Genie. Did some research on DIY tools for lifting the top. Some have used a spark plug socket (5/8") with slots cut into it. I had a good one I was not using so...out came the side grinder with a 1/4" wheel and after going in about 5/8" deep (as handle is), I put my socket 3/8"adapter in and put it in my Ryobi 18V cordless drill. I went easy does it and it went up slick as a whistle. I slowed down near the top and hand cranked the rest of the way. Then I lowered it 3 full cranks and took out my red marker and put a mark at each lifting post point on all 4 posts. My DW can watch for me and yell when she sees the marks, and I can hand crank up the rest of the way. I will need to get a slightly longer drill socket adapter, maybe about 4 inches or so. So far it works well. I have an old corded drill so I may use that instead of risking my Ryobi, but it barely got warm when lifting and did not use one bar on the gauge of the battery. So, not bad. Now keep in mind...my roof is only 8 feet long. No A/C on top. So, some here have said that a drill did not cut it to lift the roof and Crank Adapter.jpg I totally understand. Just glad it will work for me since my back can't take much more of this! And thanks again for all the positive posts which gave me courage to try it. Here is a pic of the slotted socket.

Annunzi and WrkrBee like this.
  9. Annunzi

Annunzi Active Member

@Canvas Cur That's a very impressive mod! I don't think my hands are steady enough to make a cut like that. Can I ask what the "side grinder" is that you used to make the cut? Is it like a little cutting wheel on a dremel?

I have an angle grinder/cutoff tool, but it has 4.5" blades and wouldn't be able to cut something this accurate.

Thanks!

10. Grandpa Don

So help us figure out why Jeri Sullivan can't get his to raise with a drill.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

It doesn't have to be that accurate. I use a 4.5" side grinder, with a thin cut off wheel to cut slots.

12. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

The "technical" name IS Angle Grinder (with 4.5" wheels) I mis-named it in my post...sorry for any confusion. I put the spark plug socket in my vise good and tight. Then took a hacksaw and made starter cuts in the middle of the flat inside areas opposite one another. I had just recently bought a new 1/4" thick grinding wheel at HF and this was a good chance to try it out. The cutouts in the OEM handle socket were 1/4" so I figured stay with that size slot, though I suspect 3/16 would work OK since the pin that it goes over looks like maybe 1/8". I slowly and carefully lowered it down onto the socket. Spark city! I carefully tried to keep it straight as I eased it into the hardened steel socket. All this to save the 25 bucks for a Socket Genie LOL. Anyway, it does work and since I was not using the socket, it seemed liked a good idea. If you don't have access to all the aforementioned tools and a spare 5/8" deep dish socket, or perhaps not sure if you could hold it steady, by all means get the SG. It looks like a quality made product from what I could see online. Others here seem to think highly of it as well.

Annunzi likes this.
  13. Jeri Sullivan

Not bad, 30 cranks and it is up. Gets a little harder at the end but not that hard. I had the whole lift system greased in the spring so I don't know what is up.