Using shared water spigots

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by cuisinartoh, Jul 26, 2015.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In quite a few of the campgrounds we use, where there are shared spigots, attaching a hose and filling an on-board tank is not permitted. If any reason is stated, it's to prevent contamination of the water system. In rare cases, I've seen back-flow preventers on spigots, but more and more campgrounds just prohibit attaching a hose.
    We have a couple of short hoses (one is a 1' clear tubing to use in the fill tube on a tank) that I have attached to fill jugs, when the spigot is at an inconvenient height. In one campground, the spigot was at my shoulder height, one reason we added the hose to our collection - filling a jug was not possible for me, I had to depend on my husband to fill the water jugs.
    If we need to fill the on-board tank when we don't have a water hook-up, we just carry water to the site in our jug and use the "rattle siphon" to fill the tank. Since we only have a 20 gallon tank, it isn't all that bad - I actually used that method to fill the tank halfway at home before the last trip. It was easier than dealing with the 100' of hose we need to reach the tank from the hose bib.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Something else on my belt, left side a cell phone, right side....just guess. [:D]

3. scottliddell

scottliddell New Member

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

But you're not supposed to leave it there. I suppose they just mean while you fill your tank, so if someone else needs it during that time, it's accessible to them also. Once your tank is full, you should remove your adapter and hose.

I'm kind of surprised that they are still allowing this at all. Many campgrounds, with shared spigots, have now cut off the threads so people can't hog the spigots.

5. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Not sure that either would be the right tool to deal with a hose. And when I quit smoking, a cell phone would not fit on most belts [:D]
    The Buck on my belt was just the same as the pair of pliers next to them.