Using tarp as a storage cover.

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by zinger60, Oct 8, 2009.

1. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

I had heard alot of people say not to use a tarp to cover the pop-up because it doesn't breathe. What kind of problems would it cause? We have so much snowfall here in the winter and I think the melting of it all throughout last winter led to water getting into our storage box. I heard that the ADCO covers are pretty expensive and was wondering if using a tarp would cause alot of problems if we just used it during the winter to keep the melting snow off.

2. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well......

I have known folks that use a tarp and get away with it and others that haven't.

The problem with a tarp is that it traps moisture and promotes mold, mildew, and rot in general because it can't breath well. Here in the Northwest this is a big issue in the winter time. So a breathable cover is about the only to go.

3. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Someone made a post a couple of months ago about using a tarp for storage. They recommended making a sort-of 'tent' frame above the popup, and think they did it with pvc pipes, or something. I'm sure you could use wood, or anything to keep the tarp from resting on the pup itself.

I think the idea was to allow air to circulate on the roof of the pup while keeping snow and rain from actually falling ON the roof.

I think. *smile*

Good luck!

4. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

You can use wood or plastic to make a frame, the camper would definately sweat but if air can circulate around it then it reduces the risk of mould. It is always best to make sure that any dirt has been the brushed off the canvas, as mould actually form more easily on the dirt/dust particles. I always put in moisture absorbers & change them periodically. But I suppose it depends on the environment that you live in makes a difference( ie harsh or mild)

5. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We use a large tarp and bungee it around the pup during the winter months. Have had no problems. 2 years of use for $30. The tarp keeps leaves and debris off the pup. Can't see spending all that money for an "official" cover. Tarp works great!

6. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

The age old debate with covers gotta love it.

I have never covered any of my other campers with a tarp and they did just fine, only two.

However this year I did buy a cover that has breathability and is highly water repellant, so they claim.

I really think that a cover is more for Sun/Pollution/Dirt protection than water intrusion. If your roof and camper are tight/sealed you should not have an problem storing outside without a cover.

This is the one I bought but have not installed yet but will post PIX after I put the camper away for the season .

http://www.nationaldiscountcovers.com/Pop-Up-Camper-Covers-1214-p/cc-pu1214.htm

My [2C]

Good Luck and remember the name of the game is to Have FUN!!