UT: Dead horse point State Park

Discussion in 'Utah' started by with3boys, Aug 23, 2010.

1. with3boys

with3boys New Member

Trying to plan our big trip. Can anyone tell me about the facilities at this State Park? Most importantly... are there showering facilities near the campsites?

For some reason, because it advises filling water tanks before arriving?, my husband thinks they will not have showers.

Has anyone camped here? Thanks for any information.

2. yogi

yogi New Member

I've never camped there, but did drive through it. They do not have showers, but if your willing to stay in Moab, there is this park.

http://www.riversideoasis.com/ or
    http://www.archviewresort.com/tentrv.html

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've camped there several times, water is in limited supply there, which is why they suggest you fill tanks before arriving. There are no showers, but the toilets are flush. There are several places to get showers in Moab - I had a list from the 'net, but it is not handy at the moment - I think I found it through a Moab visitors' site.

We often visit the Dead Horse SP area before or after camping at Green River SP, which does have showers.

4. with3boys

with3boys New Member

Thanks for the responses. I think we have decided to try it anyway, two or three nights. Will post again after we give it a go.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It's quite a long run from up on that plateau down into Moab but if you are willing to do it there are many places in and around Moab to get showers. Just do some Google searches.

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Reservations are hard to come by because this is the only public CG in Moab area with electric hookups. Only 17 sites and not all will accommodate a RV. We have tried so many times. Also, checked it out several times on the way to Dead Horse Point. If hookups are not an issue, nearby Horsethief CG is a good alternative.

7. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

We just camped here and loved it. We spent Friday and Saturday night and cg was full. Make your reservations way ahead of time as it fills up in spring and fall. We totally enjoyed the electric hook-up and ran a small electric heater in the mornings as it was in the 30's at night. There is a dump station and they did have water. Bathrooms were heated and had running water with flush toilets. There was also a wash basin outside the bathrooms to wash dishes and has hot water. There were no showers, sponge bath it is.

We stayed in site 14 which was cramped as we had campers on either side less than 15 feet away. UGH, can your kid please stop blowing that whistle! The hiking and mt biking trails are incredible with fantastic views while pearched 2,000ft above the valley below. IMO, the best sites would be #6 and #11.

Some Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

For showers, go to the new Moab Aquatic Center. It's an awesome facility and visitors can purchase showers cheap. Clean as a whistle when we used it.

9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I am camping at site #6. This place is totally awesome. Well worth $25 a night. Nice to have an electric hookup to run ice maker, dorm fridge, CPAP, extra lamp and electric heater. Lows will approach freezing. Hot water and heated bathroom is welcome.

10. icsopris

Spent another great weekend at Dead Horse, just love this place!

We have Verizon cell service, both the wife and I were on call and able to connect 3G, use the cell wifi hotspot, check emails, and stay connected while camping and getting paid!

We rode the 9 mile intrepid Mt. Bike loop on Saturday, took our time and took us 2 hours. Sunday we hiked the 5 mile loop around the point, took 1.5 hours.

Great weather, sunny and 60's, lows in the 30's. We brought our electric oil radiant heater and stayed super warm at night. Used our CampChef propane fire ring as they don't allow wood fires and star gazed, AMAZING!

Left on Sunday wearing shorts and t-shirts, it was 68 and blue skies. By the time we got back to Western Colorado in the evening, we were driving in a full on blizzard, blowing snow sideways and dumping. Got home and parked the camper, this is our last trip for the season, winterizing this week :-(

11. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Sounds like a great weekend. I want to camp there some day.

12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Can't add much to what has already been said, but we were there in late June and loved it. We walked down to the visitor center where there is a self guided trail through a little section of desert. The trails, overlooks, and wildlife in and around the park were memorable.

13. icsopris

Took our first camping trip of 2014 last weekend, April 11,12 and 13. We love this as our first trip trip of the season as there is electricity at each site and running water in the bathrooms.

The main bathroom in the campground was closed due to a spring remodel. They should be open again by May 1st and they have added more stalls and took away the male / female sides and turned them into mini bathrooms unisex. Nothing was unlocked or open at the restrooms but they did provide 2 porta potties within the campground. The big cold water sink for dishwashing, dumping gray water, and filling up water cans is still outside the bathrooms.

We have always loved the Intrepid mountain bike trails here and were very surprised to see they have built and added more loops on the western side of the road away from the visitor center. We got to ride the new trails and they are incredible and as much fun as the existing trails. Now boasting over 20 miles of single track beginner/intermediate and advanced terrain for mountain bikes. The views and vistas are 2nd only to the Grand Canyon, simply amazing here!

Happy Camping!