UT - Escalante Petrified Forest SP

Discussion in 'Utah' started by kitphantom, Jun 3, 2012.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

This (Wide Hollow Campground) has been one of our favorite places to base camp for exploring the Escalante region, we have been there around 8-10 times. Our most favorite site (8) might be a bit tight for our Cobalt, but the previous pup fit fine. Some of the sites have ramadas; last week, it was easy to see which campers were prepared for the strong western sun in the late afternoon and early evenings, they brought ratchet webbing and tarps to make a wall on that side of the ramada.
    The Lake View Campground is really just a newer section of the SP campground, but the map designates it by the separate name. It is very small, with a group site and 3 to 4 electric/water sites (one site is part of the group site, but seems to be available when there is no group in residence).
    This campground seems popular as an overnight stop on the SW circuit, but also used by those spending a few days in the area. The town of Escalante is a couple of miles away, for gas, supplies and eateries.
    There are showers in the main restroom building; there is also a fish cleaning/dish washing station under a roof near the restrooms.
    Depending on the time of year we have visited, birding has been fun - the lake (which is an irrigation one, they rebuilt the dam a couple of years ago) is on migration fly-ways - we have seen large flocks of pelicans, swifts & swallows, ducks, geese, etc.
    Here is our site (the one with the pup) viewed from the dam:
    [​IMG]
    Lake section from the dam by kitphantom, on Flickr

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I visited this CG in 2012 but did not like it. I found the sites too small and far too close together with essentially no privacy. This surprised me because other reviews I've seen were favorable, like kitphantom's here. I stayed elsewhere.

3. kitphantom

As with most campgrounds, there are sites here I would not want to stay in, but we have a few we really like. And yes, we'd prefer more separation and privacy, but there are many times when we prefer to make a trade-off and take a not perfect site or campground, and be at a good base camp (we spend most days out hiking, etc.), and sometimes showers, or other niceties.

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We plan on staying there next year. Most likely will make reservations because public camping options are limited (UT, I do this very selectively). Escalante is close to Lower Calf Creek Falls, Hogs Back drive and Boulder. Fortunately, we live about a 3 hours drive from this amazing area.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

There is a CG at Calf Creek and another not too far away on the Burr Trail but they are both very small and quite popular -- very hard to get into. Worth taking a look when you get in the area, though. If nothing is available you can fall back on your reservations at Escalante SP.

6. kitphantom

We've hiked form Calf Creek (most of those sites look interesting even for our pup), and have also seen the CG on Burr Trail. Friends liked the CG at Posy Lake, but we have yet to investigate that one.