UT - Green River SP

Discussion in 'Utah' started by kitphantom, Jun 3, 2012.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We use this state park as an overnight stop on some trips, or as a base camp to explore some of the vicinity. I don't know as we'd use it as a destination to spend all day, every day, in the campsite. There is some road noise (mostly a hum) from I-70, and the train track is nearby (I grew up with trains close by my house, my grandmother's and our cabin, so they fade into the background for me most of the time). There are showers here; one of the bathhouses has been replaced since my last visit (2010). They have just added electricity to a number of the sites; I was told it had been turned on 3 weeks ago. There is a boat launch area into the Green River, and the golf course (!) is on a couple of sides of the campground. The site we have used most is just across a pond from one tee, so occasional thwacks are heard.
    Site 35, on June 1, 2012:
    [​IMG]
    Green River site by kitphantom, on Flickr

2. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Member

We stayed at Green River State Park June 13-15 and I thought I would give my report. We had reservations for Dead Horse Point SP in May but had to reschedule and Green River was the one available. It turned out to be a nice central location with Arches 45 miles one way and Goblin Valley 45 miles the other way.

We stayed in campsite 29. which was an electric hookup site. Didn't notice until I got there that we were next to a group site which had 5 tents full of girls at a church camp. They honored the quiet hours so it wasn't a big deal. The bathroom nearest us is not the new one kitphantom mentioned but was clean and had warm showers. Water was close by and there was a free dump station for our grey water on the way out. Our Yuma has no AC but power allowed fans to keep a breeze which was nice. Lots of trees (of course I never took a picture of our site). Didn't hear road noise but the train came by several times a day much to the delight of my 3yo DS.

Our friends arrived at the campsite before us and set up their tent and gear only to be informed that the grass was scheduled to be watered on Friday. All tents and gear needed to be removed from the lawn and trailers needed to be closed up. This was a major pain for our friends to have to pack up and take the tent down. If I had arrived first, I would have asked to move sites but the campground was full Friday night so probably wouldn't have been an option. The reservation said "The park waters the grass Monday and Thursday at 9:00 AM tents must be removed from the lawn during this time" but maybe because the girls camp at group site left Friday morning, they bumped it to Friday for our area.

Overall, a nice campground with lots of shade.

3. kitphantom

Yes, the lawn watering issue is an interesting one. We have lucked out in our timing there in ground tents, probably half a dozen times or so. One time, we had to wait for the grass to dry before we put up the tent. However, that is the price to pay for grass and huge trees in a desert.
    Did you see the new cabin? We were trying to place it, to us the pics looked like it was across the boat/raft launch area, but we weren't sure.

4. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Member

[​IMG]

The red box is approx. where the cabin is. It looks nice and has AC but kind of isolated from the other campsites. But for $50, not a bad deal.

5. kitphantom

Looks like the spot DH figured it had to be, thanks for the update.

6. Duneslider

Duneslider Member

My family really loves this campground. I have been camping in it at least yearly for 25+ years. We can get a lot of my family there who normally would NEVER camp and sleep outside. The grass is a huge help, the hot showers are nice, the good bathrooms, etc. We even get the golfers to come and play a round. All said, it is a great place to stay. If tenting is in your forecast pay special attention to the ditch that runs through the park. I have seen MANY tent campers get flooded out by the ditch over running its banks.

It is centrally located to a lot of fun places such as Arches, Dead Horse Point, Goblin Valley, Moab, etc. There are even some fun places to go exploring around Green River, dinosaur fossils, a cold water geyser (although it has been vandalized and doesn't shoot as often as it used to).

It has been a little sad to see the town of Green River kind of change, and not be as vibrant as it used to be.

7. kitphantom

Yes, GRSP has been a great base for us for 20 years or so. So long that the cottonwood tree at the beginning of the parking pad at our favorite site has gotten a lot bigger and wider. I broke the awning on the TT as I drove into it last year, I didn't allow for clearance at that level.
    If DH gets to go on a raft trip this year, I plan to stay at the park while I wait to retrieve him.

8. Duneslider

Duneslider Member

Just spent a few night here this last weekend giving the new to us Hybrid a run down. They have put a pipe in place of the ditch that would flood all the time, so there is no more issue with the ditch over running its banks and flooding out tent campers. It was still just dirt as they haven't been able to reseed the grass yet, this will be a nice improvement though. They just got done putting new epoxy down in the showers of one of the bathrooms. It is always nice to see that the money you pay to camp is being used to make improvements too.

Almost all the camp grounds now have electric and water hook-ups, no sewer but they do have a dump station. They plan to convert a few of the drive up spots to reserve spots and then add some new drive up spots to replace them.