UT - Temple Hill Resort, Manti, Utah

Discussion in 'Utah' started by Hoomi, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Since my in-laws live in Manti, Utah, we recently enjoyed a three-night stay at the Temple Hill Resort in this small, central Utah town. As the name implies, it sits at the base of the hill that the Manti LDS Temple is built on, at the north end of town. If you are a member of the LDS church, or just someone who wants to visit the Temple, you can easily walk from your campsite to the Temple entrance.

The Temple Hill Resort was formerly one of the Jellystone Campgrounds, and remnants of the Jellystone decor remain in a few places, such as the large statue of Yogi Bear greeting you as you enter the grounds, and Yogi's face on many of the space number placards. Despite the "Resort" name, it's still more of a campground than a resort, which is not a criticism. When I think "resort," I think more upscale and - in many cases - snooty. Temple Hill Resort is not snooty in the least. It's a pretty relaxed, friendly place, catering to everything from low-budget campers with modest tents, to big Class 3 diesel pusher RV's. You can find people's accommodations here costing anywhere from less than $50, to more than a quarter million, and as near as I could tell, no one minded the difference.

The grounds are well-established, with ample shade trees and grassy areas. The restrooms are reasonably large, clean, and decently maintained. I noticed a few minor things in the restrooms that could have stood a little attention, but nothing major. There is a playground for children, a nice sized swimming pool that, while we did not swim, looked to be clean and maintained (no greening to the water, nor obvious floating debris). There is also a hot tub available for guests. The site offers a small store with basic supplies and souvenirs, and the Bear's Den Cafe. Since we ate all of our meals with my in-laws, we did not get a chance to try the cafe, so I cannot offer any review of the food or service there.

The majority of the sites are pull-through, but spaced rather close together. Since we were there over Labor Day weekend, the resort was full, and evenings tended to be a bit noisy. It did quiet up at a reasonable hour, though. Rates for RV sites with full hook-ups range from $24 - $27 per night, though it does go up a bit during the annual Mormon Miracle Pageant. The Resort is affiliated with the Passport America system, so members of Passport America get a reduced rate at most times. Each site has a picnic table, though it appeared most sites shared a fire ring with an adjacent site. Pets are permitted, and there is a grassy area for walking your pet for their "business." Sadly, while the resort rules require it, not every pet owner was compliant with cleaning up after their pet. The resort is right on the 89, and the larger town of Ephraim is just a few miles up the road.

All in all, a nice place to stay, and very convenient if you have business in the Manti area, or are just enjoying the rural drive north through Utah, rather than taking the freeway (we always prefer taking the 89 north from Kanab, as it's a beautiful drive through scenic country and wonderful little towns).