Utah and Bayside porta-potty storage cabinet?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MIlover, Sep 23, 2013.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

For those of you who own late-model Fleetwood Utahs and Baysides - does your pup have a CP, porta-potty storage cabinet, or just a storage cabinet?

I'm a little confused , because I thought that Utahs/Baysides had either the CP built in, OR if not a CP, then a porta-potty storage cabinet. However, I just called on a 2008 Utah, and the owner told me it did not have a CP or porta-potty storage cabinet. He said the area where the potty would go, is just a regular cupboard and the lid doesn't flip up at all. He didn't know how a potty could possibly fit inside.

So I'm wondering, who has a pup set up like that? And, can the storage cabinet be modded into a porta-potty cabinet? [?:~{]

2. campermom

campermom Member

I have a 2001 Utah and the cabinet where the potty would be is just a cabinet. The counter is fixed in place. It could be modified but would take effort as the space is actually two separate cabinets.

3. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

The same setup for my '06 Bayside. It's nice having the extra inside storage but if you wanted to convert it wouldn't be too much problem. The interior wall between the 2 cabinets is nothing more than a piece of plywood or MDF. Take that out to make it big enough. After that it's just a question of enlarging the door opening and putting on a larger door. Or you could do something like what Oz did to his Santa Fe. The Porta Pottie's on rollers and just slides out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114965508600034918003/2000FleetwoodSantaFePopup#5269329022178441090

4. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

We store a cassette toilet in the ABS box in front of the 2007 utah. There isn't a designated area inside with the flip lid. I have seen what you describe - perhaps it was sold as option.

5. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

No CP here either. The cabinet just inside to the right of the door (front of trailer) is the potty storage cabinet. If you have a short potty. Our Theford 465(?) which is almost full size does not fit in the standard cabinet door. Enlarging the door is on my list of mods, when I get to it. [:D] It's not a big deal for just the two of us so it hasn't been a high priority to hide the potty away (plus I don't cut straight lines very well [:(O]). But it isn't a big deal to increase the size of the opening. Don't let that be a deal breaker for you.

6. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Last year when we bought our 2004 Bayside Elite there was a "tiny" port a pottie that was inside a cabinet with a lift up lid next to the refrigerator. At 6' 1" and 350 with a rebuilt knee, bad back and shoulders there was no way that I was using that thing and my wife said she wasn't so I donated it to a Boy Scout troop. But I think it would have fit under the bench in front of the rear bed where there is a swing out door and a pull out storage drawer also.

7. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

2007 Utah w/ CP. I believe there are only two options: CP and a storage cabinet. Pretty sure a CP storage cabinet wasn't ever an option. I'd rather have the storage cabinet.

8. MIlover

MIlover Member

Thanks! I love that mod and have added it to my favorites links. I'm glad to know it's a pretty simple fix.

Huh. I'm sure I've read threads where people mention how the Thetford 465e or 365 fit "perfectly" in their Bayside or Utah porta-potty storage cabinet. Perhaps those pups were built for a CP that was never installed?

So Friar, your cabinet is actually for porta-potty storage and is one large cabinet instead of two? Does it have the flip-up counter? It won't be a deal breaker now that I know it's easily modded. That's why I love the Portal! [:D]

9. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

It's called 'Porta Potty Storage (Optional Cassette Toliet)' in the brochure.
    It's got two doors, one facing the galley, one facing the entry way. There is a thin divider between the two sections. And no, the top does not lift up. I'm looking at the pictures of the interior of the Bayside in the '08 brochure (gotta love dual monitors) and note: if you do not have the built in casstte potty the counter top is one piece and level all the way across. The picture in the brochure shows the cassette potty and the counter top is recessed an inch or so over the potty.

(plus it's right by the bed. I, personally, am not keen on having a toilet by my bed [:(O] [2C])