Utah backcountry

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by oldcold, Oct 1, 2016.

1. oldcold

oldcold New Member

Anyone pulled their pup down Hole in the Rock Road or Cottonwood Wash Road in Southern Utah? I'd be pulling a Jayco Baja 10Z

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

What are you pulling it with? If the trailer has enough of a lift Cottonwood wash should not be a problem (except for width problems in some areas). Hole in the rock might be but more dependent upon the TV vs. the trailer, steep climbs if my memory serves me.
    I have driven them in my Hummer, but it was back in my tent camping days.

3. oldcold

oldcold New Member

Tow vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner Trail. It is about 1100 miles from here to Escalante so I'm not sure of dragging it or just tenting. Looking to get kind of remote and from past experience out there, turning around in the outback of Utah can be problematic once the road/trail gets nasty.

4. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Check out the San Rafael swell, especially the wedge or the established campground. Wide open, beautiful red rock canyons and no crowds.

5. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

I think its called buckhorn wash campground. I can also give you info if interested on some pretty cool, feels remote places, not far off the highway...

6. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Its all BLM land and not listed as park even. Numerous attempts to get it designated as park, but disagreements among land users has prevented it. I like it better that way. Miles from anywhere. Beautiful. As I am thinking about it..Tomsich Butte is another place. Where temple mountain road goes past the goblin valley road another great spot. Haven't been there in a while, butis on the way to escalante...

7. oldcold

oldcold New Member

Thanks, I'll take a look, we are headed way south then working our way back up to the Swell, about a 10 day trip plus travel days from East Dakota.

8. f5moab

If wanting to camp in the north San Rafael Swell area, send me a PM, I have a plenty of GPS coordinates for disperse camping sites. It used to be my favorite playground and yes, I lugged the trailer, but I lived in Moab and it was only about 90 miles of paved road to Buchhorn. You could drive a Cadillac down Buckhorn Draw road. Going north and you will come to Swinging Bridge Campground, but no need to stay there unless you really need a vault toilet.
    Off Buckhorn there are literally dozens if not more places to camp. When first off the Interstate it is more open with large area where quite few people camp, after Swinging Bridge, it turns into a narrow canyon that you drive through with places off both sides to pull in and set up. Some places are large some are just big enough for one trailer.
    Continuing north will take you to the Green River Cutoff road, going west and you can get to the Wedge overlook and a larger campground with some great views of the San Rafael river canyon (the Wedge). Going east on the Cutoff road will eventually take you to hwy 6. Going east has a few ledges, but I have done them with my old Silverado pulling the trailer so the Toyota should have no problem.

Going south from I70 takes you into the southern part of the Swell. I agree the areas to disperse camp around Goblin Valley state park are great (off 1013). The Temple mountain area can get very busy during certain times.

Last camping trip off Buckhorn draw..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wedge overlook
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(If your browser has a photo GPS/EXIF reader extension the GPS coordinates are in the EXIF information of the San Rafael Swell photos.)

DO not forget Capital Reef National Park, also on the way to GSENM. There is a seldom used loop; Caineville Wash road to Hartnet road. Both roads it Hwy 24 east of Capital Reef. Caineville also takes you to the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon, then through Cathedral Valley, the up a cliff road to Harnet road, which has some great overlooks down into Cathedral Valley. And most of the times I have have driven that route, there was no one else, and a few times one of two other vehicles.

There is a campground just before the intersection of Caineville and Hartnet called the Cathedral Valley Campground. Actually, there are less people, here than in the Swell. At times the Swell can be very busy, it is known as the playground of Salt Lake City.

Pyramids Sun and Moon
    [​IMG]

South overlook off Hartnet road looking into the Hartnet desert
    [​IMG]

Cathedral Valley Overlook
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also plenty of dispersed camping areas in the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument; due to the fact it is run by the Bureau of Land Management and not the National Park service.

9. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Great pictures and advice f5. Love your state and can't wait to go back!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

10. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Miss that place. Its been 12 years since I lived in Utah.

11. f5moab

No longer my state. [:D] Had to flee Moab due to the tourists were getting too thick; could not even walk through town with the dog. Still go down there a few times a year to visit and to play around, but found it more beneficial for my BP to move north to ID. Easier to hide. [;)]

But yes, it is one beautiful state and no regrets living and working there for about six years.

12. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Beautiful pics f5moab!!! I need to hit the lottery so I can take years off of work and go tramp around those areas on no time schedule!
    [:)C] [RTM]

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Awesome! Used to live in St George UT and made many trips to Southern UT.

14. f5moab

I actually got paid to live in Moab for at least five years. [:D]