VA - Powhatan State Park

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by MrsSquid, Sep 17, 2017.

1. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Powhatan State Park is on the James River in Goochland County. It's off I-64, west of Richmond about 30 minutes or so. It's a 1500 acre park and it will be interesting to see how it develops over the years.

They have two campgrounds. One is a canoe-in campground. We did not venture to it so I can't say anything about it.

However, the River Bend Campground with 29 electric/water sites and 3 yurts gets a gold star rating. According to the ranger, the campground opened November 2016. It shows. The campsites are well-maintained and spacious. Big rigs would not have a problem and there are several pull-through sites.

The bathrooms are hands down the best I've seen in a state park. Granted, I haven't been in that many state parks, but still. They are cleaned twice daily. The unisex bathrooms are individual rooms, not stalls. They have handicap accessible ones and ones with baby changing stations. There are two large rooms (think master bath size) that have both a shower and a toilet. If I were a mother with small children, I'd be euphoric.

The downside, the park is a bit isolated. It's a quiet park. I imagine star gazers would really enjoy it. There are lots of open areas. Primary activities are water or equine related. We saw lots of canoes and kayaks. Bring your own. Future plans include rentals, but they are not at that stage as of Sep 2017.

There is a picnic area and a playground, but you either have to drive there or ride bikes from the campground. There is no pool or any designated swimming area.

There's a small store at the ranger station that has a few toiletry items and souvenirs. They do not have grocery items or ice. The bathhouse does have a small laundry facility, but there's no vending for soaps.

Reservations can either be site specific or non-site specific.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Ed & Machelle and XKPin like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My dad was just telling me about the park as well. He Told me I have to bring my kayak. Didn't even know they also had an RV campground as well. He didn't tell me much about it though as they were only looking for kayaking spots near their house so I have a place to go. When they found out about the primitive campground you kayak to they couldn't wait to tell me. Ive been getting the camping itch, guess I found the spot to try before the winter hibernation.

XKPin likes this.
  3. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

I've never been there and I'll surely make a visit. It's a lot closer to me than the James River State Park but sounds like they have a lot in common. Thanks!

4. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

I will be there Nov 10-12 for Old Dominion Iron Chefs Fall DOG. We love the park.

MrsSquid likes this.
  5. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

Anyone camped here? We're thinking about possibly booking a site here to meet up with some family. (This is about halfway point for the two families.) Any advice or alternatives to something in the area? As always, any feedback is appreciated!

6. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

nice small campground. A bigger campground is Pocahontas State Park which is closer to I95

7. beaglebark

beaglebark New Member

they have an olympic size pool now....but it has closed for the season....but you can still enjoy your yak

MrsSquid likes this.
  8. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We haven't made it back to Powhatan since we're still trying different parks. It must be very new pool. I didn't see any photos of the pool on the DCR website. Bummer!