Va State parks question

Timmy V

Aug 11, 2021
Hey everyone. I just booked two nights at Bear Creek Lake SP in Va using the new reservation system, the spot I reserved last year (and camped with my Aliner) is now listed as *tent only.* Has anyone else observed this? I went ahead and booked it and called the office and the young lady said she thought it would be fine to bring the camper but she didn’t seem sure. Anyone observed this? Are they going to kick me out when I get there? 😀

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
We have 3 reservations booked at Claytor; 1 no hook ups, 1 w/ hook ups, then a lodge this fall, the "tent sites" as far as I know will allow small campers up to 14-15', but you might wanna call & double check. I'm surprised they still allow tents in the RV hook up sites...
#1-800-933-7275

Timmy V

Aug 11, 2021
Yes - the old reservation system allowed you to designate that you were bringing a camper even for the non-hookup sites and gave you info on how long it could be. Now, it only allows you to pick “tent“ as your method of camping. Already called and even they weren’t sure, so we’ll see when we get there. It’s a middle-of-the-week trip so I doubt they’ll care.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Yes - the old reservation system allowed you to designate that you were bringing a camper even for the non-hookup sites and gave you info on how long it could be. Now, it only allows you to pick “tent“ as your method of camping. Already called and even they weren’t sure, so we’ll see when we get there. It’s a middle-of-the-week trip so I doubt they’ll care.
Thinking it'll be ok as well, the best way to learn is the hard way lol...post up when you get there, they need to figure out & specify exactly what that means, lot of folks have small pop ups & such that use the no hook up sites... ***Check out the site you reserved, it should state the size of the site & max equipment allowed in the site...
Unless otherwise specified, up to two camping units are allowed per campsite; only one axled camper is allowed per site. In designated high-impact areas, all camping units, equipment and vehicles must be within the defined area's borders. With few exceptions, campsites accommodate only up to a given maximum equipment size. All equipment smaller than that maximum is allowed on that site type.

Last edited:

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I would want to confirm. I have seen a few tent only sites because you had to walk up to the tent pad. It was on higher ground than the parking area.

As far as Claytor goes, I don't think any of their sites wouldn't hold at least a small TT. The non-hookup sites at Claytor a much nicer than the water and electric sites.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
I would want to confirm. I have seen a few tent only sites because you had to walk up to the tent pad. It was on higher ground than the parking area.

As far as Claytor goes, I don't think any of their sites wouldn't hold at least a small TT. The non-hookup sites at Claytor a much nicer than the water and electric sites.
For sure, that angled section in D we call "skid row" has virtually no shade & packed in tight...