Value of cast iron skillets

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by eoleson1, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:55 AM.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

My daughter decided to sell a three piece CI skillet set (12", 10", 7"). She put it up for $40 and was inundated with responses. She asked me if I thought she was selling it for too little. It is Basic Essentials Traditional brand. I looked it up and found Basic Essentials sets selling for $35-37 (Not BE Traditional - I couldn't find that).

So any ideas why her used set is so popular when she's selling at over retail price?

2. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Folks think: 50 per, not 50 for all. I was surprised that I could buy a brand new C I skillet at Wally World for $8 and it is a nice pan, after I reseasoned and prepped it a little.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Is it possible people are mistaking it for the more valuable old stuff?

AMC, Econ and eoleson1 like this.
  4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

People are overpaying for all sorts of stuff these days. Camping gear, home stuff, cooking. Some stores can't keep it on the shelves. Things seem to have stabilized a little now, and there are a ton of people out there who simply don't research anything. They focus on certain key words, like cast iron, and think that it is all the same.

AMC, Kyle R Thorson and eoleson1 like this.
  5. eoleson1

That crossed my mind - that maybe the "traditional" series makes it vintage? Basic Essentials sounds more like a bargain brand than a vintage brand though.

6. rover rob

rover rob New Member

i have been collecting vintage cast iron for years now ( over 360 pcs at last count ) for the last year or so anything made of ci is being bought up at outrages prices . if I were to add up what I have at todays prices it would be upward of 10k . that being said most of it I paid 10-15 bucks apiece at the time.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Its all in the eye of the beholder, for me, I would not pay 1c for cast iron anything. Its too heavy.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree though DW has a couple CI frying pans, including one that was my mother's and may have been my grandmother's. She makes some pretty good food in them. ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:36 PM
    PSnyderL and southern gal like this.
  9. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member

I suppose it's all in what you want it for. I'm willing to sacrifice weight for durability. I've had a CI pan that I have camped with for more than 40 years. And I've abused the heck out of it. I've also tried to use "normal" pans, and they just don't last. We have a cool "nesting" set of teflon pots/pans, but the main one is pretty much toast at this point.

But yes - CI is heavy. I use it to balance out my trailer sometimes (j/k) :)

PSnyderL, AMC and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Econ, jmkay1 and neighbormike like this.
  11. eoleson1

Thank you. I'm glad to know more about it and I'll pass this on. It sold for asking price last night. The buyer was elated to get it. Could she have gotten more? Maybe, but I think she should be happy getting full retail, especially since she picked it up at a yard sale and never used it.

PSnyderL and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That’s the truth. My brother bought a brand new Lodge Dutch oven and it was so pitted it took 16 coats of seasoning until he could finally use it without his meat sticking like glue. I have a griddle I still can’t use for pancakes yet which is really what I bought it for. There is a ton of work involved to get a decent coating on cast iron not to mention the oil and heat you use to get it that way.

PSnyderL, rdk59, Econ and 1 other person like this.
  13. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

Some folks take their skillets seriously

Econ, rover rob and jmkay1 like this.
  14. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Its about healthy cooking. Research then read the studies on "nonstick coatings"

15. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

True, but Stainless has the same effect, with less weight / cleaning.

16. rover rob

rover rob New Member

my girlfriend was taking iron supplements when I met her. I only use cast iron to cook with. after a year or so her doctor took her off the iron pills because the trace elements that leach into the food brought her iron level back to normal.

Nealster, PSnyderL and southern gal like this.
  17. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I have always had problems seasoning stainless but had an expert teach me to season C.I. and learned well. C I holds heat for longer time . CI has more even cooking. There is no replacement for thermal mass.

18. Waitara

Waitara New Member

My mother in law is a very sweet, generous woman. Often pays for expensive family vacations and always pays for dinners. But she “lent” me her mom’s Wagner Ware cast iron skillet. “If you two get divorced I want that back!” Nothing of the tens of thousands of dollars of other gifts, but she wants that skillet back! Flea market prices around here for a nice Griswold are about $30-40. And I’d pay it before I’d even bother with a rough-as-a-shingle Lodge pan from Wally World. Those old ones have proven they won’t warp, and they’re already seasoned. They are happy on a camp fire. Try that with your Teflon-coated, plastic-handled job! Nothing better than baking an apple pie in one either.

19. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

You can always sand down the Wally World specials with a drill and abrasive sanding disk, and then reseason. Extra effort, wear a respirator, but worth it. Always end up reseasoning anyway...

I agree with the healthy cooking AND with the fact that there is no replacement for displacement, I mean thermal mass. Teflon and other coatings are def not something I want to eat, even traces of. Plus they never last, and the last couple we went through didn't even stay non-stick for long.

Econ likes this.
  20. Luck7s717

Luck7s717 Member

For shame! Lol