Van Riper State Park, Michigamme, MI (UP)

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by spotdog14, Apr 16, 2013.

1. spotdog14

spotdog14 New Member

I didn't see a review for Van Riper State Park so I figured I would throw a little something together.

My family and I went camping there this past summer (2012) and I can say it is probably one of the top if not my favorite camp ground in Michigan. The facilities are great, newer showers and restrooms; they were always clean whenever I used them and rarely had to wait (except in the morning for the showers). The area around Michigamme is nice if you like hiking and offroading. We stayed for a week and ventured on the old Iron Range & Huron Bay RR which was a lot of run; went hiking at Craig Lake State Park; went to Copper Harbor, Big Bay and did a little offroading on AAA road and Blind 35 (interesting history if you are interested in the Huron Mountain Club), we also went to Mt. Arvon.

Like I said it was awesome, if you want more information on anything just let me know and ill do my best to provide links.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

Great pictures. Looks like a nice place

3. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

4. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

It looks really nice. Thanks for posting.

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Our first camping trip was to Van Riper, we loved it as well. Thanks for sharing the photos. I will have to look for our photos of time spent there. So long ago I have actual photos of the trip, but I do think we had that trip put onto a disk.

6. spotdog14

spotdog14 New Member

This may be one of my favorite pictures for the entire trip.

It was the day after our 8 mile hike around Craig Lake and as you can see I am super excited to be making bacon on the grill in the morning, my wife was cold, didn't sleep well and it was also raining. My mother in law was happy that we got more coffee the day before.

[​IMG]

7. capt

capt New Member

We are planning to be in tha area in early October. Are there decent wooded sites? This is our first trip with the PUP so electric hook up would be nice condiering the season. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.