Vandalism

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Traveller67, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Traveller67

Traveller67 New Member

My Jeep and my Bonair wax vandalized 2 nights ago, along with other cars in the neighbourhood...
    I have no coverage. I’m so discouraged now to do the restoration....[:(]

Attached Files:

Susie que likes this.
  2. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

Well that sucks.
    Pointless mischief; they need a good smack.

3. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Dang, I'm sorry.

I live an a rather nice suburb of Minneapolis, but petty crime like this has been way up this summer. I have a motion-sensing camera on the driveway and I've been checking it every morning for unusual activity (so far none, except for some strange bugs and a couple neighbors who evidently have to leave for work at 4:30am... who does that lol). But I'm considering adding a second camera for better coverage, as we just widened our driveway this summer and added a place to park our camper here at home instead of at a storage lot. Not sure what good video will do, but better than nothing I guess.

southern gal and Traveller67 like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Ouch! The car would bother me but not as much as seeing the camper damaged. Sadly we have a lot of that going around where I live. It's sad. Hope the repairs go well.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well that just plain old sucks! Man I'm sorry that happened to you.

Here's what I suggest... give yourself two days to be angry and depressed about the PUP. Then go out and stare at it and envision what it looks like repaired. Do the entire repair in your mind, start to finish. Envision camping in it next spring. Then, begin to make plans to make that vision come true. It will seem less overwhelming.

That is heart sinking, especially if you had plans in the future. I know the feeling. Good luck, you got this, and reach out to the entire PUP community if you need to bounce ideas on fixing her up, please!

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Surprised that nobody heard or saw anything?

NHHAPPYCAMPER and Traveller67 like this.
  7. SheaLoner

SheaLoner Member

Oooo that sucks. Think it was neighborhood kids?

southern gal and Traveller67 like this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Could be worse. Could be in Oakland where the police-courts would do nothing about it.

jmvandorst and Traveller67 like this.
  9. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

I'm not in Canada, and I have no idea about the insurance laws in your country. That said, here in Pennsylvania, the camper is covered under our auto insurance if it's attached to the insured tow vehicle. If it is parked on my property, my homeowners will cover it. Also, should the perps be caught, there is a chance of restitution for the damages. At any rate, be methodical and start to disassemble the damaged part of the PUP. Take pictures as you go for reference. And if you have questions, you have an excellent community on here to help you. I rebuilt the water damaged back of my PUP and it wasn't as difficult as you would imagine. Keep us posted and don't be discouraged, there are people who lost much more recently. Look at it as a curve ball of life that you can fix. Good luck...

10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

That’s awful. Sorry to hear. Hopefully those responsible will be caught by someone’s security video and the police catches them.

Each holiday in my neighborhood, some goof-balls like to shoot fireworks in the neighborhood. I live in the desert. They’re illegal fireworks. I’m so afraid of KODI, my house or shed going up in flames. They even shoot fireworks for Thanksgiving and Halloween? Like who does that?

Wishing you the best in recovery of your vehicle and trailer.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Nitrohorse,

I believe your tow vehicle being hooked to the trailer only offers liability coverage in the event of an accident.

12. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

I believe you're right. Vandalism would be covered under a separate comprehensive plan for the PUP. I stand corrected...thanks.

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

God dang man! Sorry to see that happen... hope they catch the bastards!

firepit and DiamondGirl like this.
  14. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I also have motion sensing cameras around my house. I have one that is looking directly on my camper and vehicles in the driveway. I also have a motion sensing light and a Critter cam at the beginning of my driveway. All of this worked great two years ago when a 16 year-old unlicensed kid stole my truck. At least I got to watch him drive off in it. How he got a key is a mystery. I had both of mine hanging on the key rack. There was a hidden key in the false-bottom center console. But the truck was locked and the camera clearing shows him walk up to the truck, reach into his pocket, pull out a key and unlock the door. B We are thinking that while the truck was in the shop getting serviced the week before, someone made a key. The truck was totaled in a roll-over accident later that day. When I went to the wrecking yard to retrieve what was left of my personal property from the truck, I found a strange key on the floorboards. It was not my key, but I tried it in the ignition and it fit.

I guess the moral of the story is, cameras are great. But they only show what has happened, not what is about to happen.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  15. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

Cameras are great but if the suspect hasn’t been arrested, mug shot taken, finger printed or in the criminal and facial recognition database then it’s a moot point for an arrest. I’m sure it’s harder now to identify suspects since they’re getting smart enough to hide their identity and prints when committing crimes.

Again, good luck.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

16. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Here in Oakland, CA, all the home security videos are simply not wanted by the police for theft, vandalism, trespass etc. The Police would only be interested if the issue was murder or a serious assault.

Most recently in Freemont (down the road a bit) a catalytic converter thief (accompanied by another thief) shot five rounds towards the vehicle owner (a construction worker) in broad daylight. (no hits, fortunately) The cops are investigation that crime since it made the news.

17. Grandpa Don

This is what it looks like to see your stolen vehicle drive away.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  18. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I don't disagree with what everyone's saying about cameras... in fact when I brought it up in my comment above, I said "Not sure what good video will do, but better than nothing I guess."

19. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

A video could put a face with the crime, so the OP could see if the suspect was someone he knows or allow him to ID the suspect later if he sees the suspect out and about.

20. Grandpa Don

I could not make out the face in this video. But he was not hard to identify. He was found hanging upside down by the seat belt. That was a pretty good clue that he was the culprit. LOL