Velcro strips under the bunk end

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by happycamperkzoo, Jul 23, 2015.

1. happycamperkzoo

happycamperkzoo New Member

The velcro attached under the bunkend is ripping off. We tried to re-staple but the staples don't want to go into the wood all the way. One problem is that it looks like the original velcro is so flimsy that the staples eventually rip through. I can replace that velcro with sturdier velcro, but I know the adhesive won't hold through the heat and cold temperatures and we think it needs something more secure. Special staples? More powerful staple gun? Something else? Anybody have any tips or tricks?

2. R00

R00 Active Member

Are you sure your staple gun isn't set to leave a gap?

Mine has 3 settings: full set, 1/8 gap, and 5/16 gap

What size staples are you using?

3. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Are you using a manual staple gun? There is always electric or pneumatic staple guns if you are.

Or maybe using some VHB tape?

4. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

Resurrecting this as I have not found a firm answer in my search through the threads. Has anyone found a long lasting attachment method for the long Velcro strips under the bunk ends? These are two long strips attached to the plywood bottoms that our canvas sides attach to. Ours began tearing, so we removed them as carefully as possible, pulled all old staples, reattached with contact cement and new staples. After one season, already tearing loose again. Ideas?

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Ours did fine in the 3 years we had a pup with Velcro. We did use care as we detached the canvas.
    If staples keep pulling out, you could try screws with a washer. That spreads out the stress.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Or gorilla glue.

7. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Maybe paint/seal the wood under the bunk ends before glue as well so that there is better adhesion.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Use both gorilla glue and staples/stubby screws with washers. Contact cement will also work, but it's troublesome to work with.
    Are there children slamming into the side walls of the bunks? When my kids were little, they'd get so excited to be camping they would try to jump on the beds like they did at home. There really shouldn't be much force on that velcro, but still, it doesn't last forever.

9. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

Thank you. I like all of these ideas. No kids, Dave. They are grown and gone. But my wife did get a little aggressive pulling one of them loose. I use Gorilla Glue For some projects, but doesn’t it need to be clamped since it expands? Or maybe there is a different variety; mine uses water activation and foams up.

10. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

That's why you should use both staples (or screws) and glue.

Tom Jordan likes this.